Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 My 7mm mag doesn't like Noslers....Help! >

My 7mm mag doesn't like Noslers....Help!

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

My 7mm mag doesn't like Noslers....Help!

Old 03-12-2005, 09:59 AM

Default My 7mm mag doesn't like Noslers....Help!

I've loaded 175 grain Partitions for my 7mm Rem. Mag. since I bought it 10 years ago and they've shot fine. When I booked an elk hunt, the outfitter suggested I go to a 160 grain, so I did. The problem is that I've tried a couple different powders (IMR) and loads, but my gun just doesn't like them. I was wondering if anyone had any load combinations I could try? What about a different brand bullet? My gun is a Browning A Bolt with a 26 inch barrel.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My 7mm mag doesn't like Noslers....Help!

If you have only tried one 160gr bullet and a couple of powders,you need to do some more experimenting.It is also possible that your gun simply does not like that particular bullet.I have taken several elk with the 140gr partition with very good results.Reloader 22 works very well in the 7mmremmag rifles that I have loaded for.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Patchboy,
Just like burning gas in your car or truck when you buy it new.See which gas give's you better mileage
with what Brand and OCTANE .

Rifle's, you load 4 different brands of powder in different bullet weights and style.

I like Jack Daniels Black and other pepole like Jack Daniels Green...
When I use to drink!!!

After 6 or 9 rounds from each mentioned in the above advise and still have a problem... I would try,
7mm mag....For Sale Cheap!!!

I use nosler partions 140gr..H4895
Old 03-12-2005, 11:05 AM

Wait a minute, your gun prints 175s great and you are worried about 160s? Tell that outfitter to go jump in a lake, if you are shooting 175s great then partner you are SET for elk!!! Realistically a 7mag with stoutly loaded 175s is a good a long range setup for big game as there is going. Inside of 400yds there isn't more than a couple inches MAX difference between the 175 vs the 160. And the heavier bullet will retain the velocity and energy which yields penetration (the KEY too elk) all other things being equal.

Good luck and don't look back!
RA
Old 03-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

FWIW, i have a 280 rem with the same problem... 160's print twice as large as 175's... so i shoot 175's since i like throwing as much lead downrange as i can... my 280 will also accurately throw 140's and 150's... but for some odd reason not 160's... i've loaded about 10 different powders behind them a whole matrix of other tweaks...

use the 175's... you won't have any issue...

Jamie
Old 03-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

Wait a minute, your gun prints 175s great and you are worried about 160s? Tell that outfitter to go jump in a lake, if you are shooting 175s great then partner you are SET for elk!!!

yup yup!!!!! But if you must switch, try the Rl 22 like Stubble said, I use it with my 7mm and it works great. If the 160 partitions dont work, try 160 accubonds, i am having real good luck with them. I personally have found the accubonds to group better than partitions, i dunno why but they do. I use 61 gr of Rl 22 and seat the bullet to 3.38 oal. hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Wow,now outfitters not only want to tell you what caliber to hunt with they want to tell you what bullet to shoot also!Better ask what brand rifle you should use
Old 03-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just what we need Outfitters telling us what to use on Elk. In most instances they are on the money. This guy is dead wrong if your dead familiar with the 175 grain then bring it to the dance. That is absolutely a perfect choice for your gun provided it shoots it well and apparently it does. I have had on and off problems with the 160 partition in 7 mags and 280's seems that 280's like them better for some weird reason. Use the 175 and tell the outfitter to leave that one alone
Old 03-15-2005, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's bullets like TBBCs from Speer, Northforks, Hornady interbonds, Swift A-Frames, sciroccos, Woodleighs and many more that are excellent bullets for big game.....either of the 175 or 160 grain bullets will do the job fine and if you really wanted the 160 I'd try another brand.....But as others have said....there's absolutely nothing wrong with the 175 and as a matter of fact I'd prefer that bullet for the task!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:45 AM

Stick with the 175's - it's the only wt. bullet I've found to be accurate in my Sako. Be sure to get a recommendation on brass, primers and powder from that outfitter too.

Quick Reply: My 7mm mag doesn't like Noslers....Help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.