Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

buying a press

Old 02-23-2005, 12:55 PM

Default RE: buying a press

IMO, the lee clasic will do everything the Rockcrusher will do. The Lee might have a life of 150,000 rounds, vs 500,000 for the RCBS press. How much ammo are you going to load?
PM me, I'm in SA, and have an old RCBS Jr I don't use if you really need a press.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:29 PM

Thx for all the replies! I didn't expect such a good response. I am going to check out Ebay to see whats listed. Yall have a good community here!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

I bought my rock chucker from ebay, I found a deal by searching just for RCBS and reading the descriptions. The one I got was from a seller that only knew it was an RCBS press marked on the side RC II. It was about half what all the Rock Chuckers were sellng for at that time.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:28 AM

In a single stage press, I like the RCBS Rockchucker. I don't know what the customer support after purchase is like from Lee/etc. - but from RCBS it's excellent.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: crimson tide

Hello all. New poster here looking to get his reloading bench productive again. My uncle bought me a RCBS partner press kit back in 1995, which I used until I moved to San ANtonio in 2001. I have been reloading for my M70 (30-06) and also for some hunting cluub friends in NC. I haven't even setup my stuff on the bench since I moved because I havent really had the oppertunity to hunt or shoot because of other life stuff like college, kids, wife, etc... I ran out of reloads this past deer season and had to buy a box of ammo. I was disgusted, but happy to be hunting. ANyway, I need a press. It appears that my old partner press, while not the best, has been lost somehow. So has my 5-0-5 scale. I also need the collets for my case trimmer too!. I was shopping over at Midway (man that websight has grown since 1997) for a press and I am contemplating a Lee classic http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=317831. It is much cheaper than what I really want, a rock crusher. Will it accept my RCBS dies? Will it perform as well as a rock crusher?

Also, I have one more question. I have several pounds of powder that have been opened but been stored indoors. All of it rifle powders (RE-19, win760, IMR 4831, etc..). Are they still safe to use?

thx in advance

trey

TIDE, for your Second question....If you can detect any smell like ETHER and it is still BLACK....IT's still Good!!
If there is no smell and it has turned Grey?....I won't use it!!!

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Hello again TIDE,

AS for your First question....I have a LYMAN "ALL AMERICAN" which is a progressive press,which has been discontinued
years ago and still useing it. Are you going to load for compitition bench shooting or hunting or both? If just hunting,
LEE is fine. If you have the cash, go with RCBS or REDDING....I find reloading enjoyable,but you have to be alert and
feel fresh.What I mean by that is.....NO SMOKING....regular or WAKY.....NO SUDS.....and to the point where your eyes are
about to shut. Be alert, if you are not sure of something....Dump IT!!...start over.Rather be save than SORRY.
Go get-um partner...have FUN...

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!