HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   moly damage to your barrel (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/84857-moly-damage-your-barrel.html)

miasdaddy 01-02-2005 12:30 PM

moly damage to your barrel

I have had great luck shooting a 55 gr. Hornady Ballistic Tip Moly-coated bullet in my .22-250. After I worked my load up wit the moly bullets, my group size shrank. In fact, I shot 3– 3 shot groups inside 1 bullet hole at 100 yds. Lately, however, I have read some material saying things like "shooting moly can ruin your rifle because moly can eat the metal of your barrel," and "there's no way to remove moly after it cakes up in your rifle." To make a long story short, I am now afraid of moly and any thinking about going back to regular copper bullets. Any advice?

jp4 01-02-2005 01:39 PM

RE: moly damage to your barrel

Advice? Ignore the bull§hit! 1. Moly doesn't "cake" up on anything especially the inside of your barrel. 2. It also doesn't "eat" anything. Any barrel can corrode if not cleaned properly after being fired. The best part of moly is; you can shoot longer without accuracy destructive fouling. Also clean-up is quicker because fouling is less.

johnch 01-02-2005 04:42 PM

Just clean the barrel and don't worry.
From what I can tell guys were shooting thousands of rnd with out cleaning the barrel . There was a build up from that ,as soon as they cleaned the barrel it was fine .
Just lazy

bigcountry 01-02-2005 05:02 PM

Once Moly gets inbedded in barrels/bearing/whereever its used, it seems impossible to get all out. Which is a good thing if you plan on shooting them only in that gun. According to machinist and all who use it for 30 years, it can't eat barrels or metal, but is sort of hydrscopic (can attract moisture). So instead of using it as some say, by shooting moly and never cleaning it out or oiling, I would clean it out with Kroil and oil your barrel after use. Some snipers for cities say they like it cause your barrel will have good cold shot performance if you don't clean out and use a bore snake after using. Hope it helps.

kelbro 01-02-2005 05:25 PM

Been using molys exclusively in my SS Stalker for a while. Boresnake it after 30-40 rounds. Cold shot/first shot performance is great.

stubblejumper 01-02-2005 06:56 PM

I tried moly in two rifles,a .223 and a 6mmrem.Both displayed erratic POI for the first few shots after the barrel was cleaned.Both also still copper fouled although powder fouling seemed reduced.I no longer use moly.

darylc 01-03-2005 06:10 AM

Try using a product called Fastex if you want a cleaner alternative. Fastex was developed in Europe for precision machinery. They now make a line of gun products including a product for the barrel of your gun and for your bullets. You heat the barrel or bullets to a modest 120 degrees and then coat with Fastex and wipe it clean. At 140 degrees the Fastex bonds to metal and leaves a coating 1 molecule deep, no more - no less. This keeps a layer of this lubricant between your bullet and barrel.

With a new barrel or one that has been cleaned of copper, just pour hot water down the barrel and wipe dry. The barrel will now be hot enough for Fastex and just wipe the bore with your cleaning patches. For bullets, I just put them on a cookie sheet in the oven and heat until warm to the touch. I put them in a batch of Fastex then wipe them dry and they are ready to load. They will even work for cast bullets although I use it on my jacketed bullets before loading. They also make a moly remover. http://www.varminthunters.com/fastex/