Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 copper shavings from bullet seating >

copper shavings from bullet seating

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

copper shavings from bullet seating

Old 01-01-2005, 03:28 PM

Default copper shavings from bullet seating

I am reloading a 95 gr. Nosler BT in a .243 Win and am having trouble with losing some copper shavings from the sides of the bullet as I seat it. It is new Win brass and I neck sized it before chamfering and deburring. The dies are Hornady, and I've had this trouble with seating bullets before in different calibers. I wouldn't consider myself a novice per se; I've reloaded for almost 10 years now. But I have had this problem in the past. Any advice?
Old 01-01-2005, 04:02 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: copper shavings from bullet seating

Well, youcan get another deburr tool from Wilson, that has a different angle. But wow, you asked somethin I have n't seen if you sized and deburred. Might want to measure your expander ball. It should be about .002" smaller than the size of bullet.

Old 01-01-2005, 04:02 PM
jp4
Spike

Me too, until I got a VLD chamfer tool from Midway made by Lyman. It has a much steeper taper to it, allowing the bullet to enter more easily. It also helps to smooth the edge of the chamfer with 0000 steel wool by turning the case against a pad of the steel wool.

Nozler BT's have a little softer copper jacket, it seems they have more problems with shaving.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: miasdaddy

I am reloading a 95 gr. Nosler BT in a .243 Win and am having trouble with losing some copper shavings from the sides of the bullet as I seat it.
I am loading 85 gr Nosler BT for my 25-06 and I am getting the same thing! I guess it could be the bullets, but I dont have this problem with partitions or accubonds. I havent worried about it though, I guess i just thought it wasnt a big deal, is it?????
Old 01-01-2005, 06:59 PM

Bigcountry, Mossy33, JP4, Thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense! Appreciate it! Miasdaddy