Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 do i have to resize brand new brass >

do i have to resize brand new brass

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

do i have to resize brand new brass

Old 01-03-2005, 12:09 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: do i have to resize brand new brass

Seconds on brass isn't right. I've bought some bad and good RP brass. Its been luck of the draw. Just like factory ammo. But its not seconds at all.
Easy killer. First off, unless you know, then you don't know. Second, unless you work at the factory, your full of it as I am and are either guessing cause its the only thing you use, and you feel insecure. Third, I said I believe. And have made my case why I believe out of the 1000's of pieces I have worked with. Read my post again.

No misinformation here, just posting "I believe" and why "I believe". That is what these forums are for "I thought".

Old 01-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

New R-P brass is the stuff that had the necks out-of-round in the case where my first post on this thread was. It must be even more common of a problem than I thought by the responses here.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:36 PM
bigcountry

Briman, it used to not be that way. And some 270win stuff I buy isn't that way now. Just noticed it alot more with 300RUM where its really the only gave in town.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:59 PM

Big

I dont' work for RP. I have shot all types of brass brand wise. Though I have not shot quite that much last year, I average about 8000 rounds loaded and fired each year. Thats just in competition. Not in hunting ammo. Each brand comes with dinged necks at times. One factor is how much its annealed( IE how soft it actually is) the other is how long its tumbled and how much is in each tumbling batch. Though normally the time and amount are run at the same factor each time.

The misinformation I was speaking of is the notion that the discoloration you see on the neck/shoulder area and down into the body is acid wash. Thats the result of the metualurgy changing as a direct result of the annealing.

I shoot what brass works at a given time is why I know a bit about all this. Some of the most consistent brass I've ever found in 223 is RP nickel. Exacly what I did not expect to find. Yet in other calibers the RP sucks horribly. And there are all kinds of variations in between. Want to see something that'll really toast ya? Try buying a case of 223 from PMC since another match shooter had such good luck with them. I think the count was right at 5000 cases. Open the box and find that about half the flash holes are off center quite a bit. Almost to the edge of the pocket. A call to my buddy and he had the same batch but they were so accurate. I doubted him but loaded some up. Set 3 range records with that screwy looking brass. I've seen just about all. Including cases that came with a primer pocket but no flash hole.... And have seen that exact thing in factory ammo. Makes a mess when the primer pops and has no where to go except into the bolt face and firing pin hole....

What I speak of is not of a mere few hundred rounds of this or that here and there.

Does that make more sense maybe?

Jeff
Old 01-04-2005, 07:58 AM
bigcountry

Does that make more sense maybe?
Not really rost. What you will find here is lots and lots of people who shoot alot. So don't feel pregnant.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I resize all new brass just because that's how I was tought from a "old-timer" who showed me the ropes...
Old 01-04-2005, 06:08 PM

Big

Okee Dokee. I'll clam up. I figured since I loaded over 25,000 rounds of ammo a year I would know a thing or two. Since my wife and I burn up appx 14-15k a year and I load a bunch of team ammo for our team practices and the nationals I figured we knew a bit here and there.

Ya'll do what ya'll feel is right. I'm out.

Jeff
Old 01-22-2005, 12:24 PM

I do, I dont see the use in taking the time to reload and fuss over your primers, powder loads, bullets ect.... if you aren't going to resize so that you know EXACTLY your case dimensions. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:15 AM

I always run the bell through the mouth to be sure that it is round. I also check the case length since I have a couple of tight chambers.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:00 PM

YEP

Quick Reply: do i have to resize brand new brass

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.