HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Lee Reloading kit (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/83636-lee-reloading-kit.html)

thomasr 12-22-2004 05:38 PM

Lee Reloading kit

I'd like to get into reloading...but on a budget. I've been looking at the Lee Aniversary Kit...seems to come with everything you need except dies. I don't plan on reloading a lot...mostly just to develop hunting loads for my not-so-common rifles. Is this Lee kit a good starter? Does it sound right for my needs? I've got a buddy that's been reloading for years that's gonna show me the ins and outs, but he's an RCBS fan and his current set up cost about a bazillion dollars. He seems to think I'll be disappointed with the Lee kit, but can't really explain why. I like the idea of getting eveything I'll need in one purchase. What do long time relaoders think?
REX

stubblejumper 12-22-2004 05:55 PM

RE: Lee Reloading kit

I don't plan on reloading a lot
Thats usually how it starts.However as time goes on you seem to be reloading more and more.

frizzellr 12-23-2004 11:20 AM

I have been using one for 12 years with an add on here or there. Never had a complaint.

fastfire 12-23-2004 12:54 PM

The lee will do everything that you want at a fair price.
RCBS is made a lot stronger But at 5 times the price.
Some of the guys & gals on here will tell you to go with the RCBS
BIG BUCKS!
I would not & would go with the lee to start.
Reason being I wish I had the nunber of guys that have started into reloading then found out for what ever reason it was not their cub of tea.
Lee will last for years & if you like reloading you can come up to what ever make you want .
I have both Lee ,RCBS, Lyman presses & use all three.
I can't say as I like anyone better than another.

fastfire 12-23-2004 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: frizzellr

I have been using one for 12 years with an add on here or there. Never had a complaint.
Can not be said any better.

Charley 12-23-2004 02:29 PM

All the Lee stuff is designed and built to meet a price pont. They are reasonably good products for the money, in most cases. Head to head with an RCBS press, the Lee will probably crap out at around the 15000 to 20000 round mark, and the RCBS will still be going strong. How much are you planning to reload? The Lee's will last the average reloader many, many years.

Briman 12-24-2004 07:11 AM

The Lee Kit will certainly work.
A couple of good things about Lee:
The Lee case trimmer system works as good as $200 systems and only costs about $5 per cartridge type.
Lee dies are very good, the Lee collet neck die system is excellent.
Lee make reloading affordable and simple- even more so for bullet casting

The bad stuff-
I've never figured out the Lee powder dipper system, not sure I even want to ask.
You might want to upgrade to a RCBS case deburring/chamfer too for $20 right away.
The only Lee tool I've bought and been disappointed with is a Lee lead dipper- the thing was too small to be usefull for pouring lead.

thndrchiken 12-24-2004 07:49 AM

I started with a Lee turret press purchased off of Ebay. I just recently upgraded to a Lyman Tmag2 press. Go ahead and by the Lee kit. The only thing I would suggest as an immediate upgrade is to buy a quality scale. That Lee safety scale leaves much to be desired. Most will say RCBS without a second thought. Nothing wrong with that, just that for being on a budget that's expensive. One other thing I would suggest is the Lee Autoprime if it don't come in the kit. As you go on you'll be buying this and that and building your setup. That is when you spend the money on higher quality tools.
Briman, the dippers measure by CC, not by weight so you have to do that conversion like if your using the autodisk. I never liked that kit either. Easier to just weigh the charge.

tula9130 12-24-2004 07:56 AM

When you order dies,get a case length guage and shellholder for that caliber.The kit comes with everything but dies and case length guage for that caliber.Get the Lee Modern Reloading manual if you decide on a Lee press.I had no idea how to reload cartridges but the manual walked me right thru it with no problem.

I like mine.I`ve also used Lyman turret press and other presses also.I like the Lee press for use with the collet die system vs the Lyman.The lyman is a break over style press while the Lee is not.I`ve had no problem with the Lee press.For the average hunter/shooter it is quite sufficient.I`ve used it much for three years.In most cases it doesn`t take a lot of pressure to reload cartridges.

thomasr 12-24-2004 08:51 AM

Thanks folks, appreciate the info. I went to my favorite shooting/hunting supply store to to buy the Lee kit and they had sold the last two they had in stock!!!! It will be mid-Jan before he gets anymore in. I know I could get the same kit actually a little cheaper off the net, but I try to support my local supplier as long the $$ difference is not too much. He's a great guy with lots of good stuff and tons of experience but he's almost gone out business several times because he has a tough time competing with the net and the big guys. Help support the little man if you can...keeps America the greatest on the planet. Thanks again for all the advice and insight. Merry Christmas!!
REX