HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   I'm going broke!! Advice sought... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/8236-im-going-broke-advice-sought.html)

barefoot 08-03-2002 10:38 PM

I'm going broke!! Advice sought...

Last year I added a new 7mm-08 to my cabinet and I love it. The problem is that, as you all know, it gets expensive to shoot these things with factory loads. I've been reloading shot shells since I was a kid, but I don't know a thing about loading rifle cartridges. I figure its not something I can't learn, though.

That's where I need your advice. I've been surfing around looking for information, but I can't find a good comprehensive site from the novice level up. What books, sites, equipment, and supply sources do ya'll recommend?

Thanks for the help

thndrchiken 08-04-2002 09:52 AM

RE: I'm going broke!! Advice sought...

For books, go to your local shop and find some reloading manuals, Speer, Lyman, Lee, Sierra are just a few that include really comprehensive info on the subject. All of the powder manufacturers provide load data for their powders. I personally tend to use data from the manufacturer of the powder than other sources, but sometimes you need the others as references. If you reload shotshell already, you already have the basics, i.e. press operation, preparation, etc. this should come easy to you.

Edited by - thndrchiken on 08/04/2002 10:55:17

barefoot 08-04-2002 12:45 PM

Thanks TC,

I figured I could get info there, but I was interested in your opinion(s) on which press you think is best, scales, books, etc.

Before I drop a bunch of cash on equipment, I just wanted the benefit of your collective wisdom. So... Lets hear your opinions! Please.

stubblejumper 08-04-2002 12:54 PM

The best bet would be to buy a reloading kit which will include the necessities you must have.I recommend the rcbs rochchucker press as my self and my partners have used them for many years without a problem.Lee presses and gear are cheaper but they are not as durable and do not last long if used a lot especially on big cases.

LARRY338 08-04-2002 09:01 PM

See if you can find yourself a copy of "The Complete Handloader" by John Wootters. Its a good beginners reference.

thndrchiken 08-05-2002 10:39 AM

Actually I think I am in the minority here, I like most of Lee's products, while I agree a lot of their stuff is on the value added side, I like the turret press especially when loading pistol rounds. It handles my rifle cases fine, then again I don't reload for anything bigger than my 06 currently. The kit is definetly the way to go. I would say check out Ebay's hunting section. As far as tips and tricks, Lee Autoprime, best $25 I spent on equipment, Lee dies, some like em some don't, they work!!! Get a good scale and a powder trickler. Any way you go, after the initial investment you'll find out about other items and spend a little more here and there. The best part is when you go to the range and shoot, shoot, shoot for less than half of what it cost buying factory loads.

Rick Teal 08-05-2002 09:10 PM

You might want to look in on this site. It's the National Reloading Manufacturers Association site. www.reload-nrma.com/

jed 08-06-2002 01:34 PM

I also started loading with a Lee Loadall, then moved up into reloading for rifles and pistols. While I still use my Lee Loadall I now prefer RCBS products. The advice to get a kit is a good one. I chose not to go that route, bought a used press and some other gear, swapped the press and bought a better press, etc etc. As a result I took a lot longer to outfit my self with all the gear. My only advice, other than to stay within the published loads is to find another reloader with experience at your range or join a gun club. Books are OK and this Forum helps but occaisonally some one you can talk to, or show a flattened primer to is a big help. Good luck P.S I love the Hornady 139 gr btsp in the 7-08, a real nice round

barefoot 08-06-2002 10:16 PM

I got called out of town suddenly and just got back. Thanks to all for the input. Keep it coming.

I'm starting to form some opinions and will proably buy the basics soon. I'll let ya'l know when I do. In the meantime, I still want your opinions both pro and con.

Thanks again

coyoteseeker 08-09-2002 06:14 PM

another good place for usefull info is www.reloadbench.com