Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.300 WM ?

Old 11-13-2004, 09:33 PM
jjt

Default .300 WM ?

the suggested max cartridge length is 3.340

the max length my magezine will hold is 3.360 and at this length i am not touching the lands

my question is has anybody here loaded over the 3.340 and if so did you have any problems

? bullets jamming while loading?
? recoil problems on bullets in magezine?
? am i missing something else?

if needed Browning A-bolt .300 WM - 72.1 gr. rl 22 - 180 gr. accubond - cci 250 Lr mag primers -
Old 11-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .300 WM ?

Pay no attention to the suggested length given in manuals because they are not based on your rifle.I set my overall length based on the magazine length and distance to the lands.If the loads fit in your magazine and are off the lands by .015" or more you should have no problems.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Agree, if you look in the Nosler manual their bullets are designed to be loaded longer than 3.340 for max accurcy. Blame the lawers is my motto.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was under the impression that magnum throats were intentially cut very long to prevent pressure spikes by allowing the the bullet to travel through more freebore than needed for non-magnum cartridges. Wouldn't seating out close to the lands defeat the purpose of the freebore and create a potentially dangerous condition (virtual barrel obstruction)?

Mike
Old 11-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

driftrider:

Seating a bullet close to the riffling in a freebored magnum can cause excessive presures, but that is why one starts with the Min. load. Good luck.