Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Reloading Premium Sabot Slugs >

Reloading Premium Sabot Slugs

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading Premium Sabot Slugs

Old 11-12-2004, 02:12 PM

Default Reloading Premium Sabot Slugs

Hello everyone this is my first time posting... I see everyone is pretty much rifle oriented on the reloading message board but I was wondering if anyone was reloading sabot slugs... I'm curious about the availability of components. Specifically the plastic sabots themselves and load data. I've currently got a few resources but I'm always looking for more. I unfortunately live in one of those blue states in this country and they limit our deer hunting to shotgun only. I'm tired of paying $14 a box for the premium sabot slugs on the market. A price that seems more fitting to a double rifle slated for an African hunt. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
JIM B.
ps my user name is suppose to read JamesB67 if the administrator could change that I would much appreciate it.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:41 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Reloading Premium Sabot Slugs

I have looked into this. And they don't sell premuium sabots. There are a few lead molds on the market today. And the ones they do sell are outrageous.

Old 11-12-2004, 08:19 PM

I've been reloading some muzzleloader bullets like the Barnes-X, which perform really well at shotgun velocities. I've also tried some .45 and .50 cal. pistol bullets. There use to be a guy in PA. who sold a slug sabot combo that stayed together while in flight. The slug was called the Hammerhead. I got some pretty decent accuracy under 100 yds. I think his website was www.shotgunslugs.com. I really want to develop something that will group decently out to 150-200 yds. I need to check my paper work and I will get a contact to you who sells sabots for .45 and .50 cal projectiles in a 12 ga. shot shell.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:26 PM

For those interested Collet Cup Sabots can be obtained from a guy named Chris Young in NJ. Phone # 609-396-0661. He's in the Trenton area. Sabot sleeves hold either .45 or .50 cal. projectiles. There is also a loaded version as well utilizing a 300 gr. Xpander projectile, and several other loadings as well.
JIM
Old 11-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ballistic Products list some try here link
Old 11-17-2004, 10:58 AM

Thanks johnch. I just ordered some of those Barnes SGS. Hopefully I'll be able to copy the performance of the Federal factory loaded stuff.
Jim B.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

JsmesB67, as you noted, we concentrate on rifles. However, what you are doing is even more interesting, difficult and challenging than developing rifle ammo! Please keep us posted on what you learn.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:14 AM

eldeguello, Thank you very much.. I surely will keep you all posted on my findings experimenting with the limited components available at this point. I really am surprised that with so many states limiting hunters to "shotguns only", and the extreme cost of premium slug ammunition, there isn't more of a following dedicated to researching this untapped market???????? Time will tell
Jim B.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

seeing as i paid on average $12.00 for five Hornady SST sabot slugs that shoot like a dream and hit like a freight train, i wonder if anyone has found new info. I do NOT want my slugger to sit around, i enjoy shooting it if I can do it economically. Has anyone loaded up some sabot slugs, are you getting the performance as with factory loads. Is it economical to reload?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

This has been coverd before, consensus was its cheeper to buy factory ammo especially if we are talking about 100 rounds or less, there will be no return on your investment in this bracket. now if your going to spend a weekend burning through several boxes to fine tune your slug gun ( and tenderize your sholder) then go for it.

Quick Reply: Reloading Premium Sabot Slugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.