Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Stuff you don't need... >

Stuff you don't need...

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Stuff you don't need...

Old 08-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stuff you don't need...

Vapodog mentioned in another post that there are alot of expensive reloading gadgets that are not needed for reloading. I thought its a pretty good idea, so I strated this thread.
True, alot of expensive gadgets make reloading much easier, but most aren't necessary.
My list of things not needed for every day reloading, but that I currently use or own:

-$75 case trimmers
-specialized tools for determining OAL of cartridges
-Cartridge headspace guages
-Hand priming tool
-Powder measure
-flash hole uniforming tool
-kinetic bullet puller
-collet crimp dies

The only items in the list that I would absolutely not want to live without are the hand priming tool, and powder measure however.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stuff you don't need...

For the most part, I agree... Except for the powder measure! I sure do love that powder measure when I start loading a couple hundred or more rounds of .45 ACP at a time. I can't imagine how long it would take to throw that many rounds one at a time by weighing them indidvidually. I have an RCBS powder measure and I can throw hundreds of rounds with Winchester powder and be in the same spot at the end (checking every ten rounds or so just to be sure).
Old 08-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll add to the list of unneeded tools.....at least for the reloader going hunting........Benchresters are different!!!

A collet type bullet puller.....use a fencing pincers.....it works on all calibers and will pull bullets from anything and any caliber!!!

Neck turning tools.....neat tools but absolutely unneeded

flash hole deburring tools

Primer pocket uniformers

Runnout gauges.....Big Country.....are you paying attention????

Micrometer adjusted super dooper seating dies........wow!!! What a gimmick!!!

Digital scales.......another neat tool that I can live without easily.....
Old 08-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not perfect, so I need a Inertia Bullet Puller. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:22 AM
Fork Horn

I like uniforming my pockets and flash holes. Got rid of the fliers.

But you almost never need neck collet dyes.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I first started reloading all I had was a press ,a set of dies, a loading manual and a scale . There wasn't a lot to choose from as far as equipment went then , that was 53 years ago . It does make you wonder how much of the equipment we have today is really necessary.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:21 AM

I do like the collet bullet pullers for this reason: There is a wealth of very inexpensive military surplus ammo out there. Much of this ammo will not shoot well for one reason or the other. I can pull a bunch of bullets, reduce the loads a bit and while doing that, make the loads more uniform and then, reseat the bullet to an OAL that suits my rifle. The resulting cartridges are very fine range burning ammo that groups close to match grade accuracy.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:25 AM
bigcountry

I love my neck turner. It makes purty little shiney necks. Hey, its better than watching the boob tube.

Old 08-11-2004, 08:26 AM
bigcountry

I think I could easily match factory ammo with a Lee aniversary kit and dies. Its all you need. But this is an obsession.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do like the collet bullet pullers for this reason: There is a wealth of very inexpensive military surplus ammo out there. Much of this ammo will not shoot well for one reason or the other. I can pull a bunch of bullets, reduce the loads a bit and while doing that, make the loads more uniform and then, reseat the bullet to an OAL that suits my rifle. The resulting cartridges are very fine range burning ammo that groups close to match grade accuracy.
Yes this is true.....but you can do the job easier with the wire cutters (pincers) previously mentioned.....and you don't have to mess with the "T" handles on the bullet pullers. Even the cam actuated ones by Hornady aren't as reliable as the Pincers.