Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Nosler makes the Partition a bonded bullet >

Nosler makes the Partition a bonded bullet

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Nosler makes the Partition a bonded bullet

Old 07-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Nosler makes the Partition a bonded bullet

Why is the partition gold as good as a bonded bullet ?...It's just a partiton with a metal cup in the rear partition to retain the lead and the partition is moved up a little and that "little" counts as more retained weight.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am perfectly content with the current partition design... the point of my post was many people are not even considering it a premium bullet anymore since it doesn't retain x amount of weight after it penetrates an animal...
Old 07-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nosler partition was around long before the Swift A frame and Bitteroot bullets and others have had bonded bullets out for many years prior to Swift.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why is the partition gold as good as a bonded bullet ?...It's just a partiton with a metal cup in the rear partition to retain the lead and the partition is moved up a little and that "little" counts as more retained weight.
The reason the Partition Gold is as good as a bonded bullet is the fact that the steel core allows the bullet to penetrate practically anything that it encounters. Bonded bullets are designed to do the same, penetrate no matter what they hit, and still retain bullet weight. The Partition Gold will do that with no problem, and even a good bonded bullet will have hard time staying together after hitting a heavy bone at high velocities.

I am perfectly content with the current partition design... the point of my post was many people are not even considering it a premium bullet anymore since it doesn't retain x amount of weight after it penetrates an animal...
Another point why Nosler has not made the Partition a bonded bullet is because when it was designed, few big game hunting calibers pushed a bullet fast enough to cause it to blow up when it hit something solid. The Partition still works for these calibers quite well. Move into the magnum and ultra magnum class and it is a whole new ball game. That is why it seems that people are not considering using the Partition because a lot of people are on the velocity high. Talk to a lot of people who shoot .270's and .30-06 and a bonded core bullet is really not necessary to achieve plenty of penetration because the velocities are kept low enough.

The Partition has better BC then the A frame and is lower priced
The reason the partition has a higher BC, is because it is simply a longer bullet per weight. This only comes into account when taking extremely long shots (400 yds +). Inside that, a person will not be able to reasonably tell the difference between a bullet with a BC of .390 vs 490 unless he has a target grade rifle and can hold at exactly the same place on a distant animal every time. Most hunting rifles can't shoot a 3" group at 400 yds anyway and that is about what the difference is between the two. If Nosler were to start bonding the cores on the Partition Bullet (and they obviously have the technology to do it), more time and money would have to be spent to make the same bullet as the A-Frame, therefore raising the cost of each individual bullet on the market.

To prove this point, I just did a little research. I plugged four popular hunting bullets into a balistic calculator.
I used the Sierra Gameking, the Speer Grand Slam, the Nosler Partition and the Swift A-Frame as examples with balistic coeficients of .404, .393, .410, and .367 for the A-Frame. I currently have a load with the gamekings in my Savage 110 that will shoot 165 grain at 2640 FPS. This is at 5000 feet elevation, zero of 200 yds.

here are the results for 100 yd intervals out to 500 yds to line of sight.

Gamekings: 2.1" @ 100yds, then 0 at 200, -8.9" at 300, -25.8, and finally -51.9 @ 500yds.
Speer: 2.2, 0, -9.0, -26.0, -52.5 respectively
Nosler: 2.2, 0, -8.9, -25.6, -51.6"
Swift: 2.2, 0, -9.2, -26.7, and finnaly -54.2 @ 500 yds.

That is a total difference of 2.6" at 500 yds!! the difference in energy figures was within 100 ftlbs!!

I don't know of ANYONE that can be accurate to within 2.6" at 500 yds so no normal person would even notice the difference. I think a lot of people put way too much thought into BC, when it really has no affect on where the bullet will hit in the field.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:19 PM
DM

Ok based on your argument then why is the Accubond made with the same jacket material as the partition?
Are you aiming that at me????

If so, there are unlimited ways to design and make a bullet. I have no idea what Nosler had in mine with there design, but i can tell you, if the core is bonded into a guilding metal jacket, it will not be as good as a copper designed jacket. It's just too briddle for that.

That doesn't mean it won't work in some cases, but a poster accused Nosler of copying Swift, and i'm saying that just isn't so, "IF" they are each useing a different metal for the jacket material!!!!

This isn't an "arument", it's a FACT!!!

When i mfg'd bonded bullets, i had my jacket material spl. made for me, just like the big boys do so today!!! It's the only way to make the best bullets possible!!

Drilling Man

Old 07-04-2004, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

DM, point I was trying to make is the accubond and the intrabond for that matter do not have copper jackets like a Swift Scirroco or the Aframe.. That is it . I always thought copper would be better for a bonded bullet but evidently a few manufacturers Remington,Nosler and Hornady think differently.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Charlie brown, the basic construction of the PG is identical to the Partiton except the partition is moved slightly forward and there is a steel cap over the lead core in the rear of the bullet. I have used both bullets and I can tell you the PG did not shoot as well as a regular partition. I am basing it on 30 caliber 180's and 7mm 160 grain bullets.

[quote][/Another point why Nosler has not made the Partition a bonded bullet is because when it was designed, few big game hunting calibers pushed a bullet fast enough to cause it to blow up when it hit something solid. The Partition still works for these calibers quite well. Move into the magnum and ultra magnum class and it is a whole new ball game. That is why it seems that people are not considering using the Partition because a lot of people are on the velocity high. Talk to a lot of people who shoot .270's and .30-06 and a bonded core bullet is really not necessary to achieve plenty of penetration because the velocities are kept low enoughquote]

I sort of agree on this with you this. These super velocity magnums kind of change things a bit. That said Lazzeroni introduced his hyper velocity calibers with a Nosler partition bullet and no it was not a PG. In fact he mentioned he didn't like the PG. He evidently now markets a variation of the Barnes triple shock called a Lazerhead.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:37 PM
DM

I always thought copper would be better for a bonded bullet but evidently a few manufacturers Remington,Nosler and Hornady think differently.
In my opinion, they are useing the jacket material that is easy for them to get, cheaper, and also easier to get accuracy out of! AND, still be able to capitalize on the name "bonded".

It doesn't mean there bullets will be junk, it just means they won't be as good as they "could be". Useing copper, would "really" make them look like they was copying some one else too! It really all depends on what velocity spread you are wanting the bullet to work at too.

It's all about makeing a dime, don't ya know!!!!

Drilling Man