HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Who uses a chronograph ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/63877-who-uses-chronograph.html)

neweboarhunter 06-18-2004 10:59 PM

RE: Who uses a chronograph ?

What do you think of the F1 chrony ? Is it reliable and accurate?

handloader1 06-18-2004 11:12 PM

I now own a PRO CHRONY, and I feel it is a necessary tool for the serious handloader. I have been using a chrony for over ten years, and I use it every time I shoot at the range. Good luck.

MarkIIVT 06-19-2004 07:45 AM

I think it is as necessary as any piece of gear for the reloader just as dies and bras bore brushes. One truely doesn't know the velocity unless you measure it. We fret over .002 in COL or Trim to length. We as a group are looking for the velocity and accuracy, which is driving the Magnum craze.

My brother bought a Chrony F1 at a gun show for 80 dollars. Cheap. It may not be as accurate as a high price model, but you have some idea of trends. If you check the Firarms review forum for a thread "Ruger Accuracy" you will see the accuracy results for my .308 loads. But we Chronoed the loads of 5 shots average for a .308....2860 fps. That was not what excited me, all the shots were within 15 fps of each other!!!! THAT is consistancy. NOW does this mean I have a rifle/load combo to take on the 7MM and 300 Ultramags? No. The main issue is I have a consistant load. And working backwards on a measured range with drop (center averaging) we have varified the chrono reading by equation. Straitghforward math really.

The chrono is a tool, and with todays technology and as cheap as they are ther is no reason for a responsible reloader not to have one.

Had a guy at the range at the same time and he had a "real scorcher" 25-06 load. We put it on the chrono, shot 5 shots. He was more than a little concerned how his 120 g 25-06 was shooting slower than a 165 g .308. It was is the same issues of accuracy, I have tried lots of combos and I am not a velocity nut, I am a consistancy nut. I have a very good match of combinations. He on the other hand has to do a little more work, and that is not a bragging situation, the guy didn't know. The chrono clears up foggy estimate of the velocity, and calls BS on unrealistic claims. I have heard many times there is NO WAY to get more than 2700 fps out of a .308, well, that is not true, but before the chrono I believed it.

LAST POINT. The gun manufacturers KNOW you don't have a Chrono and you probably are not going to get one. SO, you believe everything stated about a brand new cartridge, but there is no verification. Truth of the matter, I M only 200-250 fps slower than most mags. I don't think the trade off of higher recoil, increased cleaning frequency is worth the small amount of increase in velocity (which is not the same as increase in accuracy) is worth it.

As a reloader I have done EVERYTHING wrong. I use RP brass, I use IMR3031, I moly coat my bullets (with spray), BR CCI primers, didn't worry about clean cases (I now have a trumbler though) or tight tollerance of Trim to length.

I have a .308 shooting 165 g GK 2860+/-15 fps, and it shoots a .375 moa at 200 yds. This is through a 26 in barrel, and the last wrong thing a Ruger no less.

CHRONOGRAPHS just give you knowledge on what is happening. When you measure BS walks.

Dana

ktscontender 06-19-2004 08:27 AM

I use a CED Millinium when testing loads or working with a wildcat or cartridges that have little published load data or, a powder that is not listed in that data.
Being a paper puncer with a max range of 200 yds. I'm not as concerned with velocities as I am with accuracy and consistency. The 1st thing I look at is the standard deviation.

However, when working with the above mentioned cartridges the velocity readings at least let me know if I'm in the ball park with the load combo I'm using. If readings are irratic or running a little high/low it gives me an idea of where I'm at and what I should look at when I get back to the loading bench. It's better than taking a guess and a chance when working with something that has the potential to cause damage.

Then again, when publishing a test people want to know all the detail possible and that includes velocity, extreme spreads and standard deviations. Besides, who would give up the opportunity to play with new toys:D

DM 06-19-2004 08:38 AM

I guess i bought my first chronograph about 1980, and i find them to be very handy to have around!! I wouldn't say it's a "must" though. I guess it depends on how serous you are about knowing what "your rifle" is doing with the ammo you have for it!

Drilling Man

neweboarhunter 06-19-2004 09:26 AM

Could you maybe explain "standard deviation" ? Is this the average of a group of numbers subtracting the lowest and highest value?

charlie brown 06-19-2004 09:51 AM

When using a chronograph, you shoot a string of shots, (usually 10 rounds), and get an average velocity. The difference between high and low is the extreme spread. The difference between each shot and the average is the deviation for that shot. The standard (or average) deviation is the average of all of the deviations. The smaller the number, the better. I read somewhere, (would have to look it up to find out where) that the extreme spread of a load should be no more than 2% of the average velocity, or vertical stringing could become very noticable at the longer ranges.

eldeguello 06-20-2004 02:19 PM

ORIGINAL: neweboarhunter What do you think of the F1 chrony ? Is it reliable and accurate?

I have only used one of them, mine, but have checked it against my Oehler. It is accurate and reliable, and A WHOLE LOT EASIER AND FASTER TO SET UP!! All you need is one camera tripod for it.

neweboarhunter 06-20-2004 06:18 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I will purchase from Midway. They have the F1 for around $75.00

MOTurkeyTamer 06-21-2004 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: handloader1

I now own a PRO CHRONY, and I feel it is a necessary tool for the serious handloader.
I second this sentiment! Here is the best buy on the market right now on chronographs, I really like mine...

I wouldn't go to the range anymore without it!