HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Which powder measure? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/61826-powder-measure.html)

Steven Ashe 05-21-2004 04:49 AM

Which powder measure?

I am retiring the old Lyman powder dump that I got with a reloading kit over 20 years ago. That dump only gets me close, so I weigh every load before pouring same into the case.
Looking for a powder measure/dispenser that is fast and accurate. Don't mind spending the money if the thing works well.

Briman 05-21-2004 06:20 AM

RE: Which powder measure?

I use the RCBS measure without problems.

Q? what is wrong with your Lyman measure? Is it worn out? What kind of spreads in weight do you get with it?

The reason I ask is that in rifle cartridges, especially with extruded IMR powders, people seem to get concerned about not having exact weights in each powder charge. The best I can get with IMR powders is about +/- .25 gr. While this might not be accurate enough for some people, its more than accurate enough for a rifle cartridge, in fact measuring volumetrically can actually produce more accurate ammunition than weighing each charge exactly.

bigcountry 05-21-2004 07:23 AM

Steven, I haven't found one yet that dumps it accurate to .5gr every time. I used alot of them. If you loaded for 20 years, you have much more experience than me.

It also is cartridge and powder dependent. Ball powder can be thrown accurately. But flake and extruded, I have yet to be happy. For my pistol reloading, the Lee disk powder thrower, seems very accurate for pistol only.

oldelkhunter 05-21-2004 07:53 AM

I have had Lyman and RCBS models and both do not handle coarse powder well nor do any of the others irregardless of price paid. I end up weighing all my charges as a result of this. I am considering biting the bullet and buying a electronic dispenser and scale unit and probably be the Lyman unit. Time to upgrade the ol loading bench equipment:D

soarkrebel 05-22-2004 11:50 PM

I have two uniflows and they work great but not exactly super accurate. i trickle all my rifle loads to where i want them anyway. i like it better this way anyway.

MOTurkeyTamer 05-23-2004 09:02 AM

I use the RCBS Uniflow measure also, but I also trickle and weigh all my loads too.

Plumbrich 05-23-2004 09:13 AM

I started with the Lyman #55 then went with the uniflow. Still used the RCBS trickler.A friend of mine suggested the lee.I was like yeah right!!! but 20.00 what did i have to lose after the 1lb break in this thing works better than anything i have had.

marty1028 05-24-2004 09:50 AM

I use a Redding. It works very well but I scale out each and every big game bullet I shoot.

mikeinlouisiana 05-24-2004 02:25 PM

There is not an accurate one on the market. I trickle most of my hunting and target loads. I don't trickle my AR 15 loads. I use a Redding 3BR my buddy uses a RCBS and you can't tell the difference. I purchased a Harrel from Sinclairs which is suppose to be the best on the market and was very unhappy with it. I returned it. Good Luck

Briman 05-25-2004 02:44 AM

I'm going to get run out of town by an angry mob again just for suggesting it, but here it goes-
A RCBS powder dropper is more than accurate enough if you know how to use it. First of all you need a baffle for it- why they sell these things without a baffle is beyond me. What the baffle does is allow about an inch or so of uncompressed powder to sit over the top of the measuring cylinder. If you have a full column of powder above the cylinder without a baffle, the powder tends to orientate the grains in a different direction than loose powder, and having the extra pressure on the measuring cylinder will give you inconsistant throws as well as alot of cut grains (they don't matter, but makes for difficult operation).

Bottom line is don't give up on the powder thrower- get a baffle if you don't have one and practice with it.

With the baffle in place, you just need to keep the powder topped off to roughly the same level and to throw your charges consistantly- I use a sharplift on the handle, then let it lower on its own weight, lifting the handle about 1/4 back up and allowing it to bounce on its way down again. I do it the same way every time. When I top off the funnel every 15 or so charges, then throw 3 or 4 charges back into the powder can to allow the charger to equilibriate.

What I would do is sit down for an evening and practice your powder throwing technique- there is no reason why a thrower shouldn't be able to do +-.25 gr, I do it consistantly with IMR 4064.

Here's the part where people will want to run me out of town about- you will be very unlikely to get better accuracy by weighing each charge- been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it. 1/2 gr doesn't make any difference in rifle cartridges unless you are loading up to the very edge of 'high pressure land' where you aren't loading for accuracy anyhow, but should weigh your loads for safety. If you throw the powder consistantly, you will have equal volumes of powder in each case, which is more important than precise weights- a cartridge case doesn't know how much powder weight it contains, but the amount of space filled inside the case is important.