Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 what's your biggest booboo.....be honest? >

what's your biggest booboo.....be honest?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

what's your biggest booboo.....be honest?

Old 05-12-2004, 11:42 PM

Default RE: what's your biggest booboo.....be honest?

destroyed a glock 9mm with 9grs. of 231, and swelled the chamber on my Beretta, bought a new firestar barrel and have shot over 3000 rounds without failures of any kind. Having a pistol blow up in your hands is worse than any sprain I have had.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I hate to post it, but here I go: Back in highschool I was loading for my 1911 45 acp. I had all the cases ready and started putting powder in the cases. I got up to do something and thought I had remembered where I left off, Instead of cheacking, I went ahead and put powder in all the cases. I ended up forgetting one. When I was out shooting the next day, the cartriage that had no powder went off with a little pop (just the primer). It created just enough pressure to stick the bullet half way in the barrel. [:@] I have yet to make anymore mistakes. Its been over 15 years now.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:43 PM

Im new to the world of reloading, so you will probably see me posting stupid questions every other week, so far my mistakes have been small and minimal but i fear the day i make some of these mistakes, they all sound like something i might do!
Old 05-19-2004, 01:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm starting to make all kinds of mistakes- I took up casting lead bullets a few months ago, and still don't seem to have everything right. My first loads were for 30-06, I didn't have the right seating plug and mashed the first bullet I seated, ended up having to make a custom seating plug by filling one made for spitzer bullets with acraglass to the shape of a rn bullet.
My first go at it with the .45 auto won't chamber- made bullets at .4525" now have to order a new sizing die.[:-]
Need a different bullet for my .308- damn case necks are too short for the bullet mould I have on hand.[]
Giving my bullet puller and OAL guage a good workout. and lead can be remelted to make damaged bullets new again.
Biggest mistake in theis whole ordeal was somehow rationalizing that this new hobby would save me money.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:49 PM

About 3 weeks ago I loaded up 50 rds of .308 and went to the range. Well after about 20 or so I had a dud(no boom) and saved it to take home and pull the bullet, when I got home it had no powder in it at all. I am luck the bullet didnt get lodged in the barrel. That would be a squib load?