Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

762x54 russion

Old 02-08-2004, 01:21 PM

Default 762x54 russion

Where can i get empty shell casings for reloading the 762/54 russion?

Also, someone once told me there is a case out there that can be ran through a 762 die to make it a 762x54. Anyone know what casing it might be?
Old 02-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 762x54 russion

Try looking on MidwayUSA's website:

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...0+***+9013+***

They sell Norma 7.62x54R brass, but like all Norma brass these cases are EXPENSIVE. Norma is supposed to be darn good brass, if you can afford it.

Unfortunately for you, 7.62x54R is not a perticularly popular hunting cartridge because there are no modern hunting rifles chambered for it and few major ammo makers load much for it. Most of the rifles chambered for it are old eastern bloc bolt action battle rifles (Mosin-Nagants), that are bought more for cheap plinking than serious hunting. Most people in the U.S. who want a .30cal hunting rifle in the performance range of the 7.62x54R will go with either a .30-06 or .308Win, both of which meet or exceed the performance of the 7.62x54R and ammo selection is outstanding and conponents are easily found. Another problem is that foreign surplus ammo is usually steel cased and/or Berdan primed and therefore non-reloadable. Also foreign companies like Wolf make cheap, non-reloadable ammo for less than $5 a box, which at that price it'd be hard to save any money handloading.

Because of these factors there isn't very much reloadable brass available, nor is there much demand for it. There might be other European companies that make brass for it, but they'll likely be expensive too.

Mike
Old 02-08-2004, 02:21 PM

7.62x54R might not be popular with hunters, but it is fairly popular among shooters and collecters. Boxer primed brass is readily available from Norma (about $75/100), Lapua (about $35/100), and Graff & Sons, (about $25/100). Winchester imports S&B ammunition and markets it, also S&B is available directly at a lower price. S&B isn't the best brass, but it is usable. Haven't tried the Graff & Sons brass yet, I have been buying Lapua. Lapua brass is just about the best brass avilable in ANY caliber.
Check with Midway USA, Graff & Sons, and Midsouth Shooters supply, you can find what you need at one of them.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am using Norma brass. I bought four boxes of loaded Norma ammo when I got the gun. I have been using that same original brass for years. Good caliber. Very close to the 30-06.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would buy a bunch of S&B ammo and save the brass. If I'm not mistaking Lee is about the only company making dies that isn't a special order and cost an arm and a leg. Check out Midway.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:16 PM

Lots of die sets out there for 7.62x54R, RCBS are about $30, Lyman is comparable. Lee are less than $20. I prefer the Lee dies for any military cartridge, due to the design of the Decapper/case mouth expander. WHEN (not if!) you fail to detect a berdan primed case in your brass, the decapper slides up thru a collet. Other die designs will break the decapping pin.