HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Pressure Problem for .22 Hornet? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/50254-pressure-problem-22-hornet.html)

MassHntr 01-21-2004 08:16 AM

Pressure Problem for .22 Hornet?

I bought some V-max ballistics (50 gr.) for the Hornet to use on coyotes. Because of design, it seats pretty deeply to meet OAL specs in reloading manual. I'm using starting load (8.4 gr.) IMR 4227 which is listed at about 65% useful capicity in the manual. Rating for maximum load is 79% useful capacity. With the deeper seat, am I going to get too much pressure? It's a Winchester Model 43 bolt. Thanks.

Vapodog 01-21-2004 02:00 PM

RE: Pressure Problem for .22 Hornet?

M-43.....nice gun....

The Hornet has the discomfort of being overloaded often.....people really want more from it than it offers and load to max and beyond...you're in good shape starting with that load and a 50 grain bullet. My manual lists 11.7 grains as max and you're well below that.
H lil'gun is a fine powder for the Hornet as well

Don't camp on the max COL unless it's the longest COL your magazine will hold. You should try to get the bullet seated one diameter if you can and then let your magazine dictate the rest.....as long as you don't stuff the bullet into the lands of the rifling.....

MassHntr 01-21-2004 03:27 PM

V-dog,

Very helpful... thanks. I'm new at this and, hopefully, overcautious about loads until I get a few rounds through this thing. Bought the M-43 when I was 16 (40 years ago!). Better appreciation than the 401-K, for sure. Does "Vapodog" describe what happens when you nail a coyote out there?

Vapodog 01-21-2004 08:55 PM

Vapodog is for Vaporize prairie dogs.

What loading manual are you using?.....I'd suggest that you don't load less than the lowest grains shown in the manual.....My Hornady book shows IMR 4227 and 50 grain bullets to start at 9.7 grains.

May your Hornet have plenty of sting.

MassHntr 01-22-2004 05:39 AM

Lee Modern Reloading. A typo; it's 9.4. Always wanted to try dogs... closest we come here is woodchucks and they're down with the demise of farming in the NE.

SnoBall57 01-23-2004 07:45 AM

MassHntr, how is your accuracy with that load? I'm loading 10.8 gr. of IMR4227 in my NEF single barrel and the 45 gr. hornady hornet bullet and was getting lousy accuracy until I got up around 10.6! My cases are showing no signs of excess pressure. Infact, I even tried to load up to 11.1 and was still showing little excess pressure signs, but accuracy suffered. I think you could up the amount of powder a little.
I don't know how this load works on 'yotes yet, but it kills fox like lightening!:D

MassHntr 01-28-2004 11:01 AM

Sno,

Accuracy was lousy; all over the paper. 50 gr. V-Max is too long for the M43 unless I feed it singly. I agree with the 10.5 - 11.2 range for the loads. I found a Hornet site that had several in that range with 40 - 45 gr. SPs. I'm going to try them as soon as I get a little more decent weather here. I'm going to sell the V-Max on eBay in the next few days, if you're interested.

Thanks.

SnoBall57 01-28-2004 03:52 PM

Nah, but thanks anyway Mass! I really like the way the 45 gr. hornets work out of my gun! Good luck with the model 43 (nice gun!)

Oh, and by the way, I'm using a NEF single shot, and can seat the bullets out a little farther than spec., thank goodness! It's got a good, long throat!;)

Superpig 01-29-2004 02:51 PM

You may want to have the bore of your rifle checked by a gunsmith. Some of the Hornets were produced with barrels have a .223 diamter and not the .224 for other .22 caliber rifles. This would lead to excessive pressure problems in your firearm. There are .223 diameter bullets available from Sierra, Hornady, Speer, & others that are designed specifically for the Hornet. I hope this helps you out.