Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading bench

Old 11-12-2003, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Reloading bench

I haven' t reloaded for a few years and I am currently in an apartment while in school. My question to you guys is that I have been told that there are a couple of collapsable, portable reloading tables that can be taken down easily and stored when not in use. Can any one reccomend a particular table that they know to work well and be sturdy? I really want to get back into reloading my own ammo but space is really limited here.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Reloading bench

I' ve never used one ,but Midway has one ; made by Frankford Arsenal

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/155024
Old 11-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to use and still do on some occasions a Black and Decker workmate that I notched an area out for the ram and mounted my press on that. I imagine it' s just as sturdy as the Frankford Arsenal and surely cheaper.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:22 AM

I' ve also seen someone use a Black and Decker workmate. However, I always thought that a good way to keep it from moving too much would be to hang a couple of long, narrow sand bags over the lower cross-members of the bench. I' m thinking that if you cut the legs off of a pair of pants and sew those shut after filling with sand. I admit, it wouldn' t look as good as a black walnut coffee table, but it would work well
Old 11-13-2003, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Who cares about looks, lol. Seriously the whole point is to be able to store in an apartment, like fold it up and slide it under the bed or in a closet. I haven' t had any problems with the weight but if your loading big magnum cases I can see where that might be problem though.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:25 PM

The work bench should do the trick. If you have a Menards home store near you, they have a store brand " work mate" for under $20. (under $15 I believe, but not sure) Anyway, the sandbag idea should work. What I would do is get a solid 2x8 and mound the press to that. Then all you have to do is set up the work-mate, put on the bags or stabilize it w/ something and clamp in the board. Sound like a good range reloader as well. I have seen these used for shooting benches as well. Good luck!
Old 11-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys, I' ll go check out one of those work mates.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:32 PM

A buddy of mine years ago had his press bolted to a 2X6 and then he would clamp it to his kitchen table and sometimes to the coffee table if there was something good on TV.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:49 PM

The biggest problem with " portable" reloading benches is on the upstroke of the press handle where you will tend to lift the whole thing up. I' d have a piece of stout plywood with four short carriage bolts to anchor the legs of the WorkMate using wingnuts. If you can stand a little more height, you could fit the bolts thru some 2x4' s and then screw the plywood to the 2x4' s to keep a smooth bottom. It still would store easily when disassembled, and you would be able to stand on the plywood and hold the bench down when needed. Good luck.