HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Magnum primers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/427016-magnum-primers.html)

bronko22000 11-11-2021 02:42 PM

Magnum primers

I have a question. Due to the primer shortage I was forced to load up some 7-08 rounds with Rem 9 1/2 M primers. I was sighting in my Encore barrel that I just installed a new scope on and had 3 rounds that didn't go off on the first hammer strike. Checking there was an ample dimple in the primer and it did go off on the next try.
Question though is this: Do magnum primers have a slightly thicker material or do you think its because the primers are old stock? (they were kept in an ammo box in my finished basement in which I have a dehumidifier running all the time and relatively consistent temperature)
I've never had an issue using CCI primers. Now this is the first outing with this rifle with a centerfire barrel. With the muzzleloader barrel I've never had a misfire/hangfire.

Nomercy448 11-12-2021 02:19 AM

Magnum cups are thicker, but light strikes with good dimples are almost always a result of primers which aren’t seated deeply enough.

hardcastonly 11-12-2021 03:39 AM

yes as stated above the mag primers are marginally thicker,
and if you have a choice,(yeah I know about the primer shortage)
Ive found federal 215 and Winchester mag primers are noticeably more consistent than Remington's
I gave up on remington primers as I was getting hang fires in sub zero temps , when used in my 340 wby.
and have never yet had that issue with federal or winchester.

bronko22000 11-12-2021 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4398745)
Magnum cups are thicker, but light strikes with good dimples are almost always a result of primers which aren’t seated deeply enough.

Originally Posted by hardcastonly (Post 4398746)
yes as stated above the mag primers are marginally thicker,
and if you have a choice,(yeah I know about the primer shortage)
Ive found federal 215 and Winchester mag primers are noticeably more consistent than Remington's
I gave up on remington primers as I was getting hang fires in sub zero temps , when used in my 340 wby.
and have never yet had that issue with federal or winchester.

I use a RCBS hand priming tool where I can feel the primer seating all the way in so I'm not sure if that's the case Nomercy. And Hardcast I had the Rem in my ammo box for a long time (my old stock) . I always use CCI200s and never had an issue. I loaded up a box with the CCIs and will take it out again this coming week.
One other thing it could be is a sticky firing pin in the Encore. I'll take it out and check it over. I'm going to be replacing the firing pin return spring anyway.

hardcastonly 11-15-2021 10:36 AM

I looked through my stashed primer inventory after reading this thread again and one of my friends asked if I still had any remington primers, (I really did not know)
so we walked out to my shop, and I rummaged through the cabinets a bit and found 800 un-opened rem large rifle mag primers, packs in 100 count primer tray packs
, you might have thought he won the lotto when I handed him those primers and said,
"GOOD LUCK, I won't use these, but if you want them, here you go!"
hey at least they won't go to waste, I know he will use them in his marlin 45/70, and hes welcome to them.
the last time I used them, about one in every 50 cartridges had a hang- fire, and trust me if you pull the trigger on a 340 mag and there was a 1/2 second delay before the gun fires you damn well notice, and yeah I checked there was not stiff grease or oil slowing the fire pin fall, nor were the primers not fully seated,
they just were not 100% functional in below zero temps that year, and no,
I don,t know if it was just a freak bad batch,
but I never had issues with federal 215 or winchester mag large rifle primes so I stick to federals if available and winchester as a second option
they were easy to identify a rem primers are gold tint color, in the loaded ammo, while the others are silver
btw some powders like RL19, H4831 and ACURATE 8700, IMR 5010, RETUMBO, ARE hard to light

Primer sizes can be broken down as follows:
  1. Small rifle primerswhich are about .175 inches in diameter and .120 inches tall.
  2. Small pistol primers which are about the same size as small rifle primers but designed specifically for handguns.
  3. Large rifle primers – which measure about .128 inches in height and .212 inches in width.
  4. Large pistol primers – which are an average of .120 inches tall and.212 inches wide.

bronko22000 11-15-2021 12:38 PM

Yea I understand there are 2 different sizes of primers - large and small. And there are 2 designations for each - rifle and pistol. In addition there are magnum versions for each of 4. I refuse to use Remington rimfire ammo and Remingrton primers except what I have in stock. A few years ago I purchased a brick of Remington 17HMR ammo for my Savage 93 and it shot pretty good with it. Then a couple years later I bought a Taurus Tracker revolver in 17HMR and I had one in ten be duds and had to push the bullets out of the barrel! I called Remington and they reimbursed me for the ammo but gave me the excuse that rimfire ammo has a shelf life of about 7 years! Shoot...I have 22LR ammo for twice that long and it works fine.

Pioneer2 02-16-2022 08:02 AM

I use mag primers in all my guns except when shooting cast.Mind you we hunt in -25 to - 50 F In a CZ 527 7.62x39 groups shrunk 50% simply switching to mag primers. Now under 1/2" at 100 yards. Buddy's daughter dropped her moose last year with the same gun.

hardcastonly 02-16-2022 05:49 PM

??? did I read that correctly? I had to smile a bit!
IF you use a 7.62/39 (what many of us refer too, over here .. as AK or SKS ammo on a moose hunt?)
now don't get me wrong, if it works for you that's just fine! I have zero issues
but I have a bunch of the local guys swear that even a 308 win or 30/06 is marginal on MOOSE/ELK.
now Ive used a 44 mag handgun on elk successfully so I know from personal experience that precise shot placement ,
is far more important than the power, but Im sure that will result in many discussions over here!

Pioneer2 03-21-2022 05:38 PM

The moose didn't seem to object to being dead with a 123gr SP PRIVI handload . Chest shot about 80 yards 3 shots .......two pass throughs. Usually they just stand and take it. One would have sufficed but she is a newbie and got excited. If a .308 or 30-06 is marginal they need to learn how to shoot or have never shot a moose.I prefer a 6.5x55 Swedish with 42gr of either N#204 or IMR 4350 and a 156-160 gr SP. Shot lots with the 130gr .270 Win as well or 170gr 30-30. Elk take a lot more killing than a moose. Elk ......Partitions,TTSX or Scirroco2's no deer bullets.

bronko22000 03-31-2022 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pioneer2 (Post 4402855)
The moose didn't seem to object to being dead with a 123gr SP PRIVI handload . Chest shot about 80 yards 3 shots .......two pass throughs. Usually they just stand and take it. One would have sufficed but she is a newbie and got excited. If a .308 or 30-06 is marginal they need to learn how to shoot or have never shot a moose.I prefer a 6.5x55 Swedish with 42gr of either N#204 or IMR 4350 and a 156-160 gr SP. Shot lots with the 130gr .270 Win as well or 170gr 30-30. Elk take a lot more killing than a moose. Elk ......Partitions,TTSX or Scirroco2's no deer bullets.

I really think it depends on the individual animal and the shot placement. I've seen both elk and moose just stand there with good solid hits and I've also seen them drop where they stood. A few inches difference in shot placement on a large animal like elk or moose can make a big difference.