Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Pick One!

Old 10-11-2021, 07:34 AM
Spike

Default Pick One!

Finished breaking in my new Christiansen Traverse in 300 RUM and tried some loads. I am very low on M215 Primers so just one load will have to do for now. Which one would you pick?
1. The one that has 3 separate shots in a nice triangle 175g LRX
2. The one that says shots on it? 200g LRX
3. The one showing 3 shots just below bullseye with 90 upper left. 180 TTSX
All loads are using retumbo at medium powder loads. I am leaning toward the 200 but the velocity is a bit lower at 86 gr of powder. The other 2 used 90 grains. All used standard 3.600 OAL. I'll tweak once I have more M215's at a reasonable price
I am looking for an all around load for all NA big species that is accurate out 500. Thanks for any feedback
Attached Thumbnails Pick One!-b5181085-2677-4681-9c08-ea242c786971_1_105_c.jpeg   Pick One!-fb5cb4a9-4629-4b78-a52a-d948937ffc9e_1_105_c.jpeg   Pick One!-ab429fe1-b6ff-495e-accc-a3fd166302b4_1_105_c.jpeg  

Last edited by Sweetroels; 10-11-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

The difference in the group sizes in this sample won't matter while hunting.

Pick the bullet you like the best and go kill stuff.

-Jake
Old 10-11-2021, 08:39 AM
Spike

Thanks Jake. It won't matter much at a couple hundred yards, you're right. Maybe I should ask, is it better to work with heavier or lighter bullets for long range and does anyone have a preference for LRX vs TTSX? Barnes seems to be most accurate, I've tried premium bullets from Swift, Nosler Hornady with no luck. I am beginner at long range and want to learn more about tweaking a load and properly using my scope. Any help to shoot decent out to 500 would help.

Last edited by Sweetroels; 10-11-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

heavier bullets more
, for me have always worked better at long range, less wind drift, BUT a lot of things have to come into play at long range, than just bullet weights
bullets BC matters
as for better reloading advice, well, like many things the smaller details matter when trying to get smaller groups,
so weighing empty brass (and each bullet, be surprised the difference you will find if you do this)
and sorting it by weights can help, l measuring overall length on every case , you can also experimenter with different overall lengths of loaded ammo,(stay in the spec's per caliber) till you find the best for your rifle,
and then , like all ammo, is testing it at ALL ranges, as some times what is the most accurate at 100 yards isn't at 500 and such!
and again, keeping notes,
,togging how many times your reusing brass, and just measuring each and every load
best advice for learning to shoot at long range is lots of practice, and keep notes on things as you go, from wind speeds weather conditions, ammo, brass, primers and so on, notes help a lot IMO!
and
just , like anything else you want to be good at, , experience matters and the only way to get it is by putting the time in!
you cannot BUY IT!

Last edited by mrbb; 10-11-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

There’s nothing distinctive about these 3 groups which describes them as statistically different. Shot again, these groups might represent any of the 3 loads, with no reason to think any of them are actually different than the other.

Assign 1 & 2 to one load, 3 & 4 to the second, and 5 & 6 to the third load, roll a die, let it pick which one you shoot. It’ll be just as meaningful as choosing among these 3 targets.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:54 AM
Spike

Thanks mrbb! Great feedback, I have a lot to learn
Old 10-12-2021, 04:56 AM
Spike

Nomercy. thanks for the reply. I am not sure I understand what you mean by groups 1&2 etc and roll a die? Appreciate further explanation
Old 10-12-2021, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sweetroels
Nomercy. thanks for the reply. I am not sure I understand what you mean by groups 1&2 etc and roll a die? Appreciate further explanation
There’s nothing statistically different about those groups, so leaving a decision to random chance is just as viable as any analysis of these groups. Roll a die (as in shooting craps), letting fate decide which load you shoot. Assigning the NUMBERS 1 & 2 to one load, 3 & 4 to another load, and the numbers 5 & 6 to the third load, like choosing heads or tails, but for 3 options instead of 2. If you roll a 3, you choose the 2nd load...
Old 10-12-2021, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sweet I'd listen to Nomercy. He taught me the "ways of the force" if you will. Loading up some bullets with different charges, powders, bullets doesn't tell you much except that you shot a good group(s) during an outing. That's what I used to do too. The science is finding a load that shoots the best under all conditions - meaning one that is the most stable. It took me 6 months of shooting almost every weekend and loading different rounds during the week of different combinations to find out what my rifle likes and what is consistent by running them through a chronograph and shooting paper.
Sit down at the computer and do some research on load development and you'll be amazed at what you'll learn. Yes, any load you have will work for just about any hunting situation. But to get the best consistency at all ranges there is a lot more to it. For me its fun.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand the lack of available components, beleive me I been living it the last 2 years, I can't tell much by 3 shot groups but any you posted will serve you till and if we can readily available supplies. when I started reloading primers were 1 cents each and powder was 6 bucks a pound, miss the old days!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.