Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
anyone else finding it hard to believe that >

anyone else finding it hard to believe that

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

anyone else finding it hard to believe that

Old 05-15-2021, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default anyone else finding it hard to believe that

anyone else finding it hard to believe that, damn near every bullet mold and die set is on back order ?
I find it mindboggling that regardless of caliber or bullet weight, almost every bullet mold and die set I check on is on back order,
its like, LEE, lyman, RCBS, SAEKO and all the other major suppliers just stopped manufacturing bullet mold and in many cases dies /components,
now I could accept it if some popular calibers were temporarily sold out
but If you want bullet molds in , 358,416, 375, .458 or .501 diameter, are there really that many people using cast bullets in every caliber

Last edited by hardcastonly; 05-15-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

its not just reloading supplies, just about everything seems to magically be out of stock and on back order!
My guess is a lot of company's are hurting for workers more than anything and there just working as they can and soon to be NEW higher prices,a s they have to pay MORE to get anyone to work anymore!

its a shame so few people anymore are willing to EARN money by working!
hard working and strong work ethic's seem to be a thing of the past, too many spoiled brats out there now, generations deep
all them good thoughts so many had to provide better for there kids than they had,(even when they didn;t have it so bad ??)
seem to have created a whole new set of problems for the world to deal with

I will say it again, I am sure glad I grew up when I did,m never scared to work hard, get dirty or put in long hours, never had anything handed to me, and can proudly say i EARNED what I have, like a dying breed I gather I am
when so many just want things handed to them anymore! Lack of pride in one's self , if you ask me!, and maybe even lack of pride in many parents that allow all this spoiling top happen!
sorry if it offends anyone, but just my 2 cents!
Old 05-16-2021, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everything is still mixed up. I'm waiting to see Big Green ammo back on the shelves. Soon I hope.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why would anybody be surprised that everything pertaining to firearms is in short supply when a global pandemic coincided with the election of a self-proclaimed gun grabber, triggering several consecutive record setting firearm sales months, with some quarters selling more than entire YEARS of firearms sales...

Companies are still making products, some slower than normal, but most even faster than normal operation. But demand is through the roof. Most things can still be found if you’re attentive and patient. I’ve bought 30lbs of powder and 2,000 bullets in the last 3 months. Low volume stuff certainly has fallen to the back burner as companies are trying to catch up with staple products, and some products might not see a production campaign again for over another year as the pipeline is refilled, but most companies are working harder and faster than ever before to catch up with demand.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

I find it hard to believe that people are still finding this hard to believe. We're over a year into this now.

-Jake
Old 05-17-2021, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly - we’re over a year into THIS demand boom, and we’ve experienced at least two others in the last decade before this (and more going back in the decades before that)...

When people buy a lot of stuff, there’s less stuff left to buy. As an example, I need lots of 105 Berger Hybrids, but I REALLY just need lots of 6mm bullets suitable for long range. So as I have been unable to find 105 Hybrids, I have bought 200-1000 each of several bullets I would not have otherwise purchased because I know they will suffice to get me through a few matches each, or get me through practice. So anyone looking for 109 hybrids, 110 SMK’s, 112 Match Burners, 108 ELD’s, 110 A-Tips, and a couple others now has ME (and guys like me) standing in their way to find their supply, whereas I was never competition in their supply chain before.

When something is hard to find, people buy more of it when they find it, and they buy competing products they’ve never before purchased when they find them because their primary choice isn’t available. Uncertainty breeds preparation. Those of us who were better prepared beforehand are less concerned than those who weren’t. For example - I’ll make it at least 3 years before I run out of primers, and two years before running out of powder. But I was short on bullets, because 105’s are always in limited supply.

But guess how many 105’s I’m going to buy whenever I can find them available again? Guess how many primers and how many pounds of powder I’m going to need to replace in my inventory once demand starts to slow down and they’re available again? Enough to keep the shortage going on longer, I can tell you that...
Old 05-19-2021, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

If the past 15 months or so isn't a wake up call to stock up when ammo and supplies are plentiful, I don't know what is.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Ive stocked up on damn near everything I need in reloading supplies for 5 decades, purchasing darn near anything I need as I find it, especially if its on sale,
or I just had some spare cash available, but its generally a good idea to think ahead and have rifles and handguns,
that have the ability to use either cast bullets or commonly available projectiles that can be purchased easily in bulk quantities,
, and buy primers and powder in bulk quantity.(this frequently relates to current or ex military calibers)
some calibers like 357 mag , 44 mag 45 acp, and 308 win 45/70 and 358 win are especially adaptable,
obviously having the related dies, bullet molds, and collecting quantities of fired or new brass helps a great deal.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 05-22-2021 at 03:16 PM.