Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
how long can you store powder? >

how long can you store powder?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

how long can you store powder?

Old 04-18-2021, 05:14 PM
Spike

Default how long can you store powder?

There is an auction coming up near me that has 8 pounds of IMR 4831 in a METAL can.
Advertised as never opened ???

When was the last time powder was sold in metal cans?

Don't know if I should get excited or not.

Thoughts
Old 04-19-2021, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

This should answer your question: https://www.rifleshootermag.com/edit...elf-life/83922
Old 04-20-2021, 05:22 AM
Spike

Thanks
May take a flyer on the powder...never can tell how an auction goes....
Old 04-20-2021, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

I had some 40 year old powder opened not stored in the best manor over that time. Tested it vs. new of the same type and it actually averaged a little higher FPS on the chrono. Seems to still be good. I'd say powder has a long shelf life.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still have several cans of powder in the 1lb metal cans that have a sticker on them that says $15.95. I don't know how old they are but they're old and the powder is still fine. I've actually used some of it recently without any issues at all. The powder has been stored in a good place and hasn't been exposed to the elements so maybe that has helped in keeping the powder in good shape. No doubt powder has a long shelf life.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

when powder became available again after obama took office I picked up some 760 and 4350 both of them are still shooting very well. So I would say over 10-12 years at least but I'm betting longer than that by a lot
Old 04-28-2021, 05:59 PM
Spike

Not certain anyone really cares but I did try to buy that 8 lbs of 4831.

I concluded people are crazy.

I looked up current retail price as if any retailer had any. I jump in the auction and bid up to retail price. Since it is in short supply I bid retail plus 15%. Now its just one other bidder. We bid back an forth until I bid retail plus 45%. Other guy out bids me, I quit. Another guy starts bidding. They go back and forth till the new guy bids retail plus 72%. New guy wins.

My inventory is currently about 100 rounds in five different calibers. If I run out I'll throw rocks before I'll pay that much.

Thanks again for the advise.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately retail price is currently a useless number. I see powder being offered for sale at 5 to 10 times the retail price. The panic buying and the Federal Handout Program (stimulus checks) are making it tough for regular fellows.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:55 AM
Spike

I have lots of powder and primers that is over 30 years old. Still works fine, but would checl loads with chrono. If it has a acid smell it may not be good. The best way to store powder is in a load cartridge! Just my 1 cent.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have powder in metal cans with a pricetag of 6.95 and the powder is still good!