Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Favorite 6mm bullet? >

Favorite 6mm bullet?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Favorite 6mm bullet?

Old 03-13-2021, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Favorite 6mm bullet?

I have not used a 6mm/.243 on medium sized game in a long time but I may do so soon. The rifle has a standard factory barrel with a 1/9.125" twist rate, the intended game is 100 lb. - 150 lb. on the hoof, and the distance will not exceed 250 yards. I load all of my ammunition, and there is no need (or desire) to use mono-metal bullets for this rifle. I am thinking a 90 - 100 grain pill would probably be good for the job.

It is slim pickings for components these days so it is hard to try very many different bullets. Some of my favorite game bullets are extremely hard to get and my supply of 6mm hunting bullets is low indeed. What is your favorite 6mm hunting bullet for this application?
Old 03-13-2021, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Uncle I'd be hard pressed to sit down and count the number of deer I dropped DRT with my 243 loaded with 40.5 gr of IMR4350 under a gool old Hornady 100 gr interlock bullet.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:13 PM
Spike

I have had good luck with the 95 gr. Ballistic tips and both the 100 and 87gr Hornady soft points both flat bases. Many people really like the Sierra 85 gr. HPBT Gameking.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

95 gr BT's, without a doubt!
Old 03-14-2021, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

https://www.speer.com/bullets/rifle_...t/19-1222.html
this is the best 6mm bullet Ive found/and the one I use in a 6mm remington caliber browning 78
Old 03-15-2021, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks fellows!

I have a small supply of the 100 grain Interlocks, and a good supply of both 80 and 85 grain Sierra Varminter on hand, but that is it for 6mm hunting bullets on my shelves. The only place I can find the BT's is on Gunbroker and it really irritates me to have to line the pockets of some scalper by outbidding the other sportsmen who also need things. I can afford to pay the scalpers' prices but it leaves a very, very bad taste in my mouth. I do like the Grand Slam bullets, I always thought they are suited better to the heavier game though.

I can find the Sierra Pro Hunter, the Hornady Interlock, and maybe the Nosler Partition through normal channels. My preference in the Sierra hunting bullets line is the Game King, and I would really like to lay in a supply to Nosler BT and AccuBond bullets. I might as well wish for the moon. Until the scalpers quit buying everything from my regular sources I will probably buy more of the Interlocks.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite bullets by far is the 100 gr Hornady SP. Those have been discontinued several years ago. I have about 300 left and I have a box of the 100 gr BTSP. I have never tested those on game but the SP is a solid game bullet. My 243 is kicking them out at 3150.

Last edited by idahoron; 03-19-2021 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

A retailer that I deal with had some 95 grain Nosler BT bullets in stock at the normal price. I was able to buy a reasonable supply so I am a happy guy.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:36 AM
Spike

In my 6mm rem, I use two. One the varment round I use a 55 gr Varmengetin Going FAST, 4200 fps, Think of catsup filled football...
Antelope to elk I use a Barnes 80 ttsx at 3700 fps. I have never had one walk away...

Old 03-24-2021, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

I've read many similar threads and related responses several times ,
I've always felt a 6mm is a bit under powered for elk,
and while train loads of deer and elk are killed with a 243 win or 6mm rem,
there are much more effective lower recoil level cartridges
(I'm thinking 25/06-270 win or 6.5 Swedish)
and was struck by the very obvious conclusion that what some people expect the 6mm bullets to do on impact,
must be vastly different, than what other people are expecting .
In my case I expect deep consistent penetration , yet matched with reasonably fast but controlled expansion,
so the games vital organs can be reliably destroyed if you accurately place your shots into the vitals.
yes its your responsibility to take only reasonable shots at ranges and angles that allow reasonable chances of success.
some of the bullets suggested will have explosive expansion and Id be amazed,
if the consistent depth of penetration is nearly comparable, to the speer gs I've used.
or a 100 grain hornady interlock, nosler partitions
https://www.speer.com/bullets/rifle_...t/19-1222.html
now if you've done a bunch of post mortem exams on large game ,
you know that a shot into the heart/lung area from a broadside bullet impact,
even on an elk is more than likely rapidly fatal , but you don't always get that ideal shot angle,
and a varmint type bullet expansion bullet, on impact will be considerably less at a raking angle
while most likely eventual fatal, a raking shot would allow wounded game to cover hundreds of yards ,
risking loss.
after bullet impact than a bullet that had penetrated too maybe twice as deeply ,
that deeper penetration would have easily prevented.
all I'm suggesting is you need to match the bullet design to the intended application

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-24-2021 at 05:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.