Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Don't Trust Die

Old 11-13-2020, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unhappy Don't Trust Die

I was bullet seating for the ,340 Wby. Mag., and all of a sudden heard a cracking noise. I removed the Forster Die from the RCBS press, and the cartridge was stuck in the seating die. I could not remove the die by hand, so I had to remove the die with a plier. I was sure to put a piece of leather in the jaws, I moved the bullet back & forward in a circular motion till the cartridge was released from the die; now the sleeve was stuck in the die, and I repeated the same method as before. Now the seating seating stem could not be rotated after loosing the lock nut, and I kept unscrewing back and forward round & round till it came unscrewed. I sent it back to Forester, and they would not give me a new seating die they repaired it. Forster said, the problem was with the seating steam, and there was scratches in the die, so they replaced the seating steam, and the die. polished. When I get the die back I will seat some more bullets, and check the round out, then to the range. If the die doesn't preform like before, (Three, shot group .407") I am sending it back to Forster for a NEW DIE!!

Last edited by handloader1; 11-13-2020 at 03:41 PM.