Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
What would be your choice >

What would be your choice

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What would be your choice

Old 11-17-2020, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I've shot a lot of different bullets, had a lot of DRT kills, but on average impact velocities have had more with Bergers than other bullets, now if ya swat them with impact velocities from 3300 fps and up, it doesn't make much difference.
RR
Well RR I don't doubt you. but that has been your experience. Now if I were to use my experience I would have said that I have had more DRT kills from the Nosler BT. I've also had a whole bunch with good old Hornady Interlock bullets. Now this could have just been a stubborn old cow and didn't know she was dead on the first shot. And I'm glad I had the Barnes TSX to hold together and smash that shoulder rather than fragment.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:08 PM
Spike

Go with Berger. I've had great success with them. But some people like a more solid bullet that expands and exits with good retained weight. That's how my dad is and so he shoots a nobler partition. I like the bergers because they essentially explode and all the energy goes into the animal. Every animal I have shot or seen shot with these just have chunky soup for vitals. Plus they have great BC
Old 06-17-2021, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

Clem, I took my 280Rem to South Africa a few years ago. I was shooting Barnes 150gr Triple Shock. The Kudu and Zebra who were both shot around 230 yards and only required one shot. The Kudu dropped where it was standing and the Zebra ran about 40 yards. I was able to recover the bullet from the Zebra and it was the typical mushroom that you see.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a guy wants something to drop FAST, the Berger or other BTHP or tipped bullets (SMK, ELD-M) do the job. Short penetration, followed by violent expansion. Typically no exit, but absolutely devastating internal trauma, so game goes down hard and fast. Usually, I find the core separates from the jacket, and there are very, very few substantial chunks of bullet left. VIOLENT expansion and near instant death.

The TTSX is a bit more controlled expansion since the “jackets” are thicker in the hollow nose, but when they hit something hard, the petals fracture away and the solid shank continues to penetrate deeply. More likely, almost guaranteed to exit, but typically slower to kill.

So it’s a trade off, the TTSX can punch through harder bone, but it also typically NEEDS an exit wound since the game will travel farther, whereas most of us hunting with the Bergers could care less about an exit wound or blood trail, because we get to watch game stagger and fall within feet of where they were hit. Both great bullets, just different mechanisms for how they kill.