Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
It makes you wonder! >

It makes you wonder!

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

It makes you wonder!

Old 08-14-2020, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Erik Cortina has a video out which is pretty hot lately “stop chasing the lands.” I don’t think the inference should be that jump distance is irrelevant, but Erik certainly has earned the right to speak from a position of authority on bullet jump.

Similarly, Mark Gordon of Short Action Customs put out some research results through Precision Rifle Blog not so long ago, last year now I suppose, which reflects a sensitivity analysis of bullet jump for a specific bullet, describing a method for others to also analyze their bullets to identify the most forgiving jump distance, much akin to the common long range load development methods for determining the most forgiving powder charge weight(s).

Personally, I have learned to play with bullets which aren’t jump sensitive, and immediately abandon any bullet I find to be so. I’ve jumped the 105 Hybrids in my 6 creed match rifles, for example, from 5thou to 140thou, and delivered statistically identical results on target. So no chasing for me, in that case - I start 5-8 thou off, and let the lands erode away in front of my bullet. No chasing. Based on Mark’s data, my load actually gets better and better until about 1100 rounds, then flatlines at its most forgiving. Can’t complain about that.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Back to the OP:

I've seen many rifles that did not like solid copper bullets.
Think it has something to do with the groove diameter
and the bullet diameter.

Then again I've got a 270 that is very fussy with every type bullet.
Did finally find one it likes. Took some experimenting.