Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Tikka Chambering Issues >

Tikka Chambering Issues

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Tikka Chambering Issues

Old 09-07-2019, 11:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had to use a small base die to get cases fired in my Savage bolt action to chamber in my AR.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:17 AM
Spike

auto you should bump .003 at least. I find with .001 to .0015 in my rifles I get good chambering and good case life.The original poster is not FL resizing cases that he shot in another rifle. For a hunting rifle there is absolutely no need to partial size or neck size. You should FL size every case.
I'd really like to know how you can measure to within .001" to a rounded case shoulder? Unless you have a superb set of calipers that is pretty hard to believe unless you could measure the same dimension, say, 25 times and get the same repeatable results then I would agree.
I'm just trying to imagine how you bump back a shoulder in a standard die without FL sizing. The way a die is designed the shoulder should not get touched unless the case is inserted fully into the die.

If you read my post I use FL sizing dies, if you don't know all you have to do is bump your shoulder back to ensure easy chambering and long case life I would suggest looking into a Hornady Headspace kit. If you keep sizing your cases by constantly over camming the dies stretching the case each time you are going to have case separations.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
The original poster is not FL resizing cases that he shot in another rifle. For a hunting rifle there is absolutely no need to partial size or neck size. You should FL size every case.
I'd really like to know how you can measure to within .001" to a rounded case shoulder? Unless you have a superb set of calipers that is pretty hard to believe unless you could measure the same dimension, say, 25 times and get the same repeatable results then I would agree.
I'm just trying to imagine how you bump back a shoulder in a standard die without FL sizing. The way a die is designed the shoulder should not get touched unless the case is inserted fully into the die.
I would suggest you look into a Hornady Headspace kit like I use for all my rifles. All you need to do is bump the shoulder back enough to ensure easy chambering and that way you will have long case life. If you overcam your FL dies and size cases that way it time it may well lead to case separation.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The original poster is not FL resizing cases that he shot in another rifle. For a hunting rifle there is absolutely no need to partial size or neck size. You should FL size every case.
Its not hard but you need to be creative unless you have the proper tools, here's how I do it, say you are loading 270 cases, take a case and punch the neck out to 7mm, screw your sizer up so its only sizing the neck almost to the shoulder, screw it down just a bit at a time, trying to chamber the round after each time, when the case will chamber with just a bit of resistance, screw the die in 1/16th turn and lock it down, that setting will be good for 5-6 loadings till you have to anneal and bump the shoulders back.
RR
Old 09-08-2019, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

RR why would you need to expand the case neck? It should be "oversized" after firing. But other than that it sounds logical for THAT rifle only.
But for hunting rounds I would definitely FL resize. If I should need a fast follow up shot I don't want to have to be messing around with a less than slick bolt. I would want the least resistance possible. Shooting competitively or just for targets is another story.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The OP was already full length resizing his cases. He trimmed his brass and fixed his problem.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

RR why would you need to expand the case neck? It should be "oversized" after firing. But other than that it sounds logical for THAT rifle only.
But for hunting rounds I would definitely FL resize. If I should need a fast follow up shot I don't want to have to be messing around with a less than slick bolt. I would want the least resistance possible. Shooting competitively or just for targets is another story.
it is over size, but it will still chamber, you expand the neck so it will not fit back in the chamber, then resize the minimum amount to make it fit the chamber better for better brass life.
some chambers which are within spec could vary enough to cut brass life dramatically just a fix for that problem. if you form cases for wildcats you want all the brass life you can get.
Originally Posted by Big Uncle
The OP was already full length resizing his cases. He trimmed his brass and fixed his problem.
am aware of that just giving bronco some info.
RR