Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Shooting the .45-70 with home cast bullets >

Shooting the .45-70 with home cast bullets

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Shooting the .45-70 with home cast bullets

Old 05-31-2019, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting the .45-70 with home cast bullets

I finally got to get out and shoot my .45-70 Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle using my 350 gr bullets cast from wheel weights. Load was 50 gr of IMR4064 and a .060" veggie wad under the bullet. I was really happy with the grouping just shooting from a less than ideal rest but not so happy with the location of the groups. First group was 18" low at 50 yards. Jacked the rear sight halfway up the ramp and still about 10" low. Raising it up as high as it would go I was still 4" below my point of aim.
Fortunately when I came home I had a lower front sight so I drifted out the high one and installed the lower one. Next time out I'll be more serious and take the table and bags.
but KUDOs to Hardcast on the tip he gave me about the CRC Dry Moly Lube. Firing those 10 shots and coming home cleaning the rifle there was not a trace of lead residue on the patches or brass brush. That was truly my main concern about shooting the cast bullets. BTW these bullets were shot just as they came out of the mold. Pan lubed but not sized.

Last edited by bronko22000; 05-31-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

glad too see your making progress.
btw repeated application of the lots of sloppy wet moly soaked patches, with that dry moly ,
after each bore cleaning makes the rifle less and less likely to retain fouling

Last edited by hardcastonly; 06-01-2019 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hardcastonly
glad too see your making progress.
btw repeated application of the lots of sloppy wet moly soaked patches, with that dry moly ,
after each bore cleaning makes the rifle less and less likely to retain fouling
That's what I've been doing. A thorough cleaning followed by and alcohol patch then a dry one and finish with a mop soaked in the moly lube.