Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
For anyone considering getting into reloading... >

For anyone considering getting into reloading...

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

For anyone considering getting into reloading...

Old 01-21-2019, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default For anyone considering getting into reloading...

If anyone (like me) is thinking of getting into reloading, considering the pros and cons, debating over the cost savings, or Lord knows what, I created a Screen Print image from one of those online calculators. Then I brought it up in Photoshop and used the text editor mode and wrote notes all over it. I hope you can understand it.

I am using my classic 1911 .45 ACP for an example. IF I did decide to get into reloading, I would start with the historic .45 ACP round that everybody's grandpa has shot, using a 230gr bullet and 5 grains of Bullseye powder. From what I've read, that is the original, famous, GI load, used for decades.

But first off... Click here for the online calculator link: http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

Or, try another one to verify the mathematical formulas (they are all 100% spot on): https://x-reload.com/load-cost

There was even a guy on the internet (I forget where or what forum - sorry) who must have gotten with some finance guys and I.T. guys and created a wicked looking, color coded, Excel spreadsheet. Everything broken down to the tiniest, minute, detail --- just like those online calculators. From I remember he uploaded to a Google Drive account, so people could safely and securely download it for their own use. I have the downloaded version on my laptop, and it works fantastic. PM me for details if you want a copy of it or maybe I could try to upload it to HNI... I don't know...

Anyway, regarding my Screen Print image below, I used a combination of MidwayUSA and MidSouthShootersSupply for reloading supplies, dies, presses, etc... So the original startup cost of everything is just a simple "ballpark figure". Simply put - I have never reloaded, have clue about it, other than reading Richard Lee's Second Edition book over and over. I've watched You Tube videos, but still, I've never done it. I would start out extremely small and simple, only reloading about 50 rounds of .45 ACP just to see if I could do it and not blow myself up (LOL... you know what i mean...)

I hope this helps you out like it did me!

Old 01-21-2019, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ah-ha.... I found the link to that incredible Excel spreadsheet. It's okay... It's 100% secure... The guy created an internet link, and you click on it, and it automatically downloads "reloading.xls" to your Downloads folder on your computer. Click on the file, and Excel will open it in Secure Mode, so you have to click on "Enable Editing" in order to use it. Again, it's totally safe and secure. No viruses, malware, spyware, hackers, etc... It's legit!

http://westernsafellc.com/Reloading.xls
Old 01-21-2019, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

I didn't get into reloading for the money savings. I enjoy making my own loads. Working up the best load for accuracy or for speed and accuracy, etc. Its also a plus when you don't have to worry about the store having your shells. That got to be a problem while Obama was in office. The cost savings for me is just a plus.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA
I am using my classic 1911 .45 ACP for an example.
Isn't that 45 Auto one of those new "flavor of the month" cartridges? I would worry that it would lack popularity, or prove to be total ineffective, and not be around very long. Most of the cool guy shooters would probably simply throw a pistol chambered in 45 Auto in the trash soon as someone comes out with a pistol cartridge with the word Creedmoor in the name.

I like Unique with the 230 grain pills but Bullseye works fine.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take for granted how simple that math should be, but sometimes isn’t, for new reloaders. I’m stuck doing financial projections quite often, net present value, return on investment, capital risk, net revenue, etc, so that’s second nature.

The reality, of course, is the volume of your reloading is critical, and saving any money against the equipment with a low cost round like 45acp is really difficult. It just doesn’t pay back to reload a few boxes per year of hunting ammo or plinking pistol ammo. Then there’s a spiral where the more you reload, the more your capital outlay grows, because you need to spend more on the gear to get going, otherwise you’re wasting time pumping on a cheap single stage and trimming by hand to make thousands of rounds... I’ve taught the NRA mettalic reloading course, as well as my own flavor of a reloading class off and on for about 10yrs, my economic assessment works out to suggest a new reloader should plan $1000-1500 on their gear, getting into a high volume capable system. Otherwise, the payback against time just isn’t there. Kinda like buying a bicycle instead of a car... you might not drive much, but when you do drive, there’s a big, big difference in the two, and you can’t keep up on the bike if you ever have to drive fast and far.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

I just use a single stage rockchucker.

While I have loaded .38s, .45s, .44mag, ...I mostly only use it for rifle loads.

And I do not shoot high enough Volume to really save myself any money. But I enjoy loading for my rifles and taking critters with my handloads.

At this point the only high volume shooting I do is with the 9mm. And I get a pretty good deal through a law enforcement supplier here. I could possibly save money, but it would take allot of time. It's easier for me to buy them by the thousand.

-Jake
Old 01-21-2019, 03:53 PM
Spike

I got into reloading when I was 14. I started with shotgun shells and then around age 17 started with rifle. When I started reloading there were bullets available that you could not shoot unless you reloaded. With that said, I never started reloading with the idea of saving money. I started simply because I wanted to and I also like the satisfaction of hunting with ammunition that I have crafted and seeing those tiny bug hole groups when things come together.

All of my rifle reloading "stuff" was bought used at substantially low prices. Normally people getting out of reloading. I did however buy a brand new RCBS Powdermaster scale years ago. Still have it and it still works really well. Would I spend the money today if I wanted to start reloading? Emphatically, YES!!

However, reloading is not for everyone. If "you" do not like to pay attention to detail nor like tedious things you would be better off buying your ammo...
Old 01-22-2019, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Highoctane
.......... If "you" do not like to pay attention to detail nor like tedious things you would be better off buying your ammo...
That's me. That's why my favorite gun is a 9mm. It isn't worth my time nor money to reload the cartridge. Alls i need do is shoot; buy ammo.

The dam 223 is more accurate shooting reloads, plus it is cost effective to shoot reloads. Dam.

The deer rifle is virtually a wildcat, so it is a way way better to shoot reloads. Forming brass, and loading the brass is needed. Gets old, but is worth doing.

Long before any of us had a computer, we did what we had to do; we were able to do arithmetic.........................
Old 01-22-2019, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

That's a mighty big word for a hunting forum....

-Jake
Old 01-23-2019, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes it sure is; will post over on the Vegan forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.