Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
For anyone considering getting into reloading... >

For anyone considering getting into reloading...

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

For anyone considering getting into reloading...

Old 02-03-2019, 04:57 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=Big Uncle;4350791]Isn't that 45 Auto one of those new "flavor of the month" cartridges? I would worry that it would lack popularity, or prove to be total ineffective, and not be around very long. Most of the cool guy shooters would probably simply throw a pistol chambered in 45 Auto in the trash soon as someone comes out with a pistol cartridge with the word Creedmoor in the name.

LMAO! So true. I could probably fill a coffee can with dog crap, write "Creedmoor" on the outside, and folks would stand in line to give me $800 for it.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

I once calculated my savings from reloading compared to using factory ammo. These numbers are a few years old now, but probably still hold up pretty well:

270 Wincester
Nosler factory load: $2.15
Handload components: $0.57
Savings per handloaded round: $1.58

300 Weatherby Magnum
Weatherby factory load: $4.25
Handload components: $0.72
Savings per handloaded round: $3.53

460 S&W Magnum
Federal factory load: $3.10
Handload components: $0.57
Savings per handloaded round: $2.53

243 Wincester
Hornady factory load: $1.20
Handload components: $0.46
Savings per handloaded round: $0.74

300 Winchester Magnum
Hornady factory load: $1.67
Handload components: $0.61
Savings per handloaded round: $1.06
Old 03-26-2019, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

We shoot thousands upon thousands of 9mm yearly for training and at the house. I used to reload for it but I have found a pretty reliable source for quality fmj 115g ammo (not tula crap either) for around 14-16 cents a round. I figure with me using decent components my hand loads come out to around 10-12. That little bitty difference is by far not worth the many hours sitting pulling the bar on my progressive. Now, like others, my rifle ammo is all lovingly hand loaded for each and every picky little barrel. And I load some for a couple of my .45's that are getting a bit long in the tooth so I reduce load for them a bit.