Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
25-06 Sierra 100g Spitz vs Nosler Partition 100g spitz >

25-06 Sierra 100g Spitz vs Nosler Partition 100g spitz

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

25-06 Sierra 100g Spitz vs Nosler Partition 100g spitz

Old 10-05-2018, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default 25-06 Sierra 100g Spitz vs Nosler Partition 100g spitz

I wanted to work up a load for my 25-06 using a 100g Nosler partition for hunting deer. I noticed that the Sierra pro hunter was pretty much the same bullet for half the price. So I figured I could use the Sierra to work up the most accurate load then switch to the NP and get the same results. I found that 58g of Reloader 22 with the Sierra’s got me a less than 1” group at 100 yards. I was happy.

Loaded 10 Nosler partitions with same recipe same OAL and was getting 2”+ groups at 100 yards.

Anyone else had a similar experience trying to save a little money? At this point I’m gonna start over with the Noslers. May use the Sierra this year for deer. They shoot great...on paper.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

I guess my question would be.... If you're just working on a deer load.... Why not go with the Sierra?? They're cheaper and you've found a load your gun likes.

Go kill some deer then decide if you want to switch.

-Jake
Old 10-05-2018, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I guess my question would be.... If you're just working on a deer load.... Why not go with the Sierra?? They're cheaper and you've found a load your gun likes.

Go kill some deer then decide if you want to switch.

-Jake
I was worry about the Sierra fragmenting. I like the way noslers kill. No fragmentation inside the animal.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

stick with what your gun likes, I would also try the nobler accubond and the 115 gr ballistic tip, have used both in a 25 wssm, and have not found a better deer load than a 115 gr BT at 3000 fps.
RR
Old 10-07-2018, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

After years of shooting many different bullets in my 25-06 rifles, I have settled on the 110 gr. AccuBond bullets for use on game the size of deer and pronghorns. I still shoot other bullets on the range and for varmints but the AccuBond shoots very well for me and takes game cleanly.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Uncle,
I have also used them extensively, and have saw zero difference in performance between the 110 accubond and the 115 BT, I shoot mainly 115's because my rifle shoots them a bit better.
RR
Old 10-07-2018, 09:51 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dhasemann
I wanted to work up a load for my 25-06 using a 100g Nosler partition for hunting deer. I noticed that the Sierra pro hunter was pretty much the same bullet for half the price. So I figured I could use the Sierra to work up the most accurate load then switch to the NP and get the same results. I found that 58g of Reloader 22 with the Sierra’s got me a less than 1” group at 100 yards. I was happy.

Loaded 10 Nosler partitions with same recipe same OAL and was getting 2”+ groups at 100 yards.

Anyone else had a similar experience trying to save a little money? At this point I’m gonna start over with the Noslers. May use the Sierra this year for deer. They shoot great...on paper.
tHERE NOT THE SAME BULLET, PARTION A LOT STONGER BULLET
Old 10-08-2018, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The partition is a tougher constructed bullet than the Pro Hunter for sure but if your shots are out beyond 100yds and farther I don't think you'll have a problem with the pro hunter at all if you tuck it behind the shoulder. If most of your shots are closer than 100yds i'd probably go with a little better constructed bullet like the partition, barnes tsx, nosler accubond, or the swift scirocco. Not saying the Pro Hunter won't get it done but with the speeds you'll be pushing i'd be a little leary about the bullet fragmenting at close range especially if you get in the shoulder.
No doubt the Pro Hunter is a fine deer bullet and i've personally killed quite a number of deer with the Sierra 117gr Pro Hunter from my 25.06 and my daughter uses the 120gr Pro Hunter from her .260 with excellent results as well. My personal load for my 25.06 is the Speer 120gr Hot-Cor and it's on game performance has been excellent for me from close up out past 350yds which is the longest shot where I hunt. If I were to ever drop down in bullet weight to 100grs in my 25.06 i'd personally go with a bonded bullet of some type. Good Luck. Mike
Old 10-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

whitetails are considered light thin skinned med. game. you DO NOT need a controlled expansion bullet for whitetails unless you use a high velocity magnum and take close shots. stay off of heavy bone and any cup/core bullets work fine.
RR
Old 10-08-2018, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I appreciate your input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.