Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

45-70 Pistol

Old 03-21-2007, 02:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 45-70 Pistol

I would like to order a 45-70 barrel for my Encore pistol. I have several questions. I would prefer a 10 to 12 inch bull barrel. Any problems with that length or contour? I have a good bit of experience with the 45-70. I have always wanted to match a mold with a new barrel. Any suggestions there? I am thinking about a 405 at approximately 1600 fps. Any mold suggestions?I want the best muzzle break I can get, any suggestions? I am waiting for my new 6.5 X 284 from MGM, I am pretty sure I am going to order a 45-70 barrel from them, they have treated me well so far. Tom.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 45-70 Pistol

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I would like to order a 45-70 barrel for my Encore pistol. I have several questions. I would prefer a 10 to 12 inch bull barrel. Any problems with that length or contour? I have a good bit of experience with the 45-70. I have always wanted to match a mold with a new barrel. Any suggestions there? I am thinking about a 405 at approximately 1600 fps. Any mold suggestions?I want the best muzzle break I can get, any suggestions? I am waiting for my new 6.5 X 284 from MGM, I am pretty sure I am going to order a 45-70 barrel from them, they have treated me well so far. Tom.
A real good deer/black bear cast bullet for the .45/70 is the Lyman 457122HP, which from my mould comes out 342 grains using wheel weights. It is a plain-base bullet, so when I want to shoot it fast, I put an inverted gascheck on top of the powder charge. This seems to work well. I think a .45/70 pistol shooting a 400-grain bullet at 1600 FPS is going to be "fun" to hang onto!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not ordered the barrel yet-so the beauty is I can specify everything. Things such as chamber size, necks, free bore, and rifle twist can all be specified. I will actually be able to match a dummy round, and a mold to my barrel. That is the reason for my question. I am trying to determine what bullet. dummy round, and possible load to build the barrel around. The smith is asking for a dummy round, before he starts the barrel. Tom.[/align]
Old 03-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I think a .45/70 pistol shooting a 400-grain bullet at 1600 FPS is going to be "fun" to hang onto!

I personally think that a 45-70 will be "stupid" to use, when you could get a more accurate lever-action rifle, that doesn't kick so bad.

If you are a pistol hunter, get a 500 S&W, or a .460.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the useful information Younggun. Iposted this question on two other sites and got a dozen good ideas, but the "stupid" comment trumps everyone else's comment. I will just throw away the $300-$400 dollars worth of components that I already have. What was I thinking?? Tom.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Head - Aside from youngman's input , I too am interested in getting a .45-70 barrel for my contender. I won't go as far as a custom barrel though. Probably an OTC one from thompson/center.
I don't know anyone who has this chambering around here and would like to know how the recoil is. The heaviest chambering I have right now is the .35 Rem which isn't bad at all even with my 'heavy' 200 gr handloads.
Please let me know what its like after you shot it.
Oh - and youngman, if you're reading this response. A contender or encore handgun in the right hands and the right load is probably more accurate than a lever action rifle. And that's from experience not just blowing smoke.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:49 PM
Spike

Head,
You'll do fine with your ideas.
A cast 405 gr. bullet will have some consequence at detonation, no matter how fast you push it.
You can always play with 300 gr. SJHP using Trail Boss and you'll find them quite enjoyable.
Get enough furniture to hang on to.
Marty at Haus of Arms has a great line of Fajen-like designs for both contender and encore.
Mine is made by Reinhart Fajen but Martys have a bit of finger groove to assist hold.
The 45-70 doesn't push you around as much as a 375 JDJ.
Attached Thumbnails  45-70 Pistol-fun-gun.jpg  

Last edited by gemihur; 09-03-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

45-70 has advantage of you can load mild to wild. Though with all the big handgun cartridges out there, I got to wonder, if this wasn't stupid, why would it not be more common?

but it's not like we don't have tons bullets that are sisters to another. We do I like variety and being different.
Just so can share reloading components? If you don't like the term stupid , how about why?
Old 09-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Since my last post on this God knows how long ago, I had gotten a BFR in .45-70. That is a monster of a revolver and hold 5 rounds. It is a bit more restricted then the Encore with the pressures allowed. But with 300 gr bullets it knocks the crap out of whitetails. I haven't had a chance to try it on bear yet but I'm sure it will do the job nicely. Recoil in the Encore will probably be more noticeable however. I'd go with at least 14" barrel with a good muzzle brake to help tame it.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Berserker
Though with all the big handgun cartridges out there, I got to wonder, if this wasn't stupid, why would it not be more common?
Big bore handguns in excess of .44magnum aren’t for the faint of heart. Hunting with handguns is not common. Duly such, there’s an incredibly small, niche market for high powered specialty pistols. Discounting the fact rifles and handguns are lumped together in the same seasons and regulations, after almost 30yrs of hunting with handguns, I really have never been able to understand how bowhunting could remain so much more popular than handgun hunting.

Making stupid, disrespectful comments online like a child might seem stupid to many folks. But hey, there is a real niche group of folks who seem to think it’s a good idea. Yet another niche group seems to feel it’s not stupid to dig up 11yr old threads to offer advice to members who are no longer active.

The Contender Super 14 and Encore in 45-70 are absolutely brilliant hunting pistols. Lots of rock and roll involved, even with Trapdoor level loads, but they’re very manageable with some coaching. The mountain lion motif on my Contender isn’t my favorite styling, but it’s subtle enough to be overlooked, especially after a few rounds barking fire with the Super 14.

Quick Reply: 45-70 Pistol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.