Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
the 30-06 'plinker' and gas check? >

the 30-06 'plinker' and gas check?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

the 30-06 'plinker' and gas check?

Old 02-02-2018, 12:00 PM
Spike

Default the 30-06 'plinker' and gas check?

Oh great and powerful hive mind may I ask a question?

Using a lee 309-160 R mold (casting 161.3 grain) would one still need gas checks when loaded on top of of trailboss powder? I'm finishing off some FMJ 150 grain loaded over min, median and max Hodgson listed amounts for 'plinking' to about 100 yards before using my castings.

Velocities would be between 1161 and 1477 FPS (Using Hodgson data for 30-06 min-max). Also. witch would be best, aluminum or copper checks?
Old 02-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

I use gas checks on ALL my cast bullets that I shoot in my rifles.

I also only use Hornady crimp on copper gas checks.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Spike

Normally I shoot a Lyman Great Plains Rifle 50 cal, patched round ball, casting my own for that for years now, when I added the '06 it was nothing to cast for that too.

But researching I found the reason gas checks where used (gas cutting with high pressures according to wiki) but with lower pressures? (see purpose)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_check