Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Why can't someone build a powder dispenser that is easy to empty. >

Why can't someone build a powder dispenser that is easy to empty.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Why can't someone build a powder dispenser that is easy to empty.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Why can't someone build a powder dispenser that is easy to empty.

I have a Lyman and a Hornady powder dispencers both are a pain to clean. By that I mean the machines practicaly need to be tipped upside down to empty them. I am talking about the automatic ones with the scale built in not the old ones with the approximate powder dispensing. Is there a better machine or are they all the same. These things were made to save time but not sure they do in the end.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:54 AM
Spike

I recently got an RCBS Chargemaster Lite which is extremely easy and quick to clean and empty the powder. The entire powder bin is sealed and once you open the drain, 99% of the powder runs out. I then use the included brush to complete the process. To empty the tube, I use the trickle feature which takes about an additional 30 seconds or so. I couldn't be happier with the ease of cleaning. I believe that emptying and cleaning the larger Chargemaster works the same.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Is the bottom of your charge master lite in a funnel shape. Both my Hornady and Lyman are flat on the bottom. To top that off the hornady uses a to small of tube to efficiently drain the powder.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:38 PM
Spike

No, the drain tube is more like a chute and the drain is about an inch or so lower than where the powder is stored in the unit. Gravity makes the emptying process really quick. With the included brush, any remaining powder is easily swept to the chute and out of the drain cock.