HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   bullet pullers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/416942-bullet-pullers.html)

davidg 01-19-2018 09:00 AM

bullet pullers

anybody have any suggestions on what type of bullet pullers they like?? I think I would like the grip n pull .. maybe I could get a real review from some real people .. they make one for 17,20,22,24,25,26,27,28,30 .. I see the girl on the video makin it look easy .. I am practically already sold .. anybody??

Wingbone 01-19-2018 11:43 AM

I have one of the inertia pullers. It has a self adjusting collet which will work with any cartridge that I reload. I've used it literally thousands of times over the years. I have absolutely no complaints about it.

Mr. Slim 01-19-2018 11:54 AM

i use the hammer type that doesnt need collets. just attach the ammo to the adjustmentricg and hit it on a hard surface like a hardwood board until the bullet comes out. bullet and powder stays inside to be dumped out and reused.

ronlaughlin 01-19-2018 03:40 PM

The puller that mounts in the press, and uses collets is what i use nowaday. Used one of them hammer/inertia pullers for years & glad i don't anymore.

_

Nomercy448 01-19-2018 05:23 PM

Be honest with yourself - if you're going to reload long or much, you're going to end up with both a bullet gripping puller and a case gripping puller. The Inertial/Hammer pullers are cheap, and they're great for recovering bullets. The downsides are slow loading, loud hammering, and the fact they scatter powder to he11 and back. The upside, a cheap earplug in the tip will protect your bullets for reuse. Press mounted collet type pullers and bullet gripping pliers might mar the bullets to make them unusable, or at best less consistent, but the powder is well contained. The Grip-n-pull pliers are cheap. The hammers are cheap. The collet pullers are less cheap, but still relatively cheap.

davidg 01-20-2018 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4326327)
Be honest with yourself - if you're going to reload long or much, you're going to end up with both a bullet gripping puller and a case gripping puller. The Inertial/Hammer pullers are cheap, and they're great for recovering bullets. The downsides are slow loading, loud hammering, and the fact they scatter powder to he11 and back. The upside, a cheap earplug in the tip will protect your bullets for reuse. Press mounted collet type pullers and bullet gripping pliers might mar the bullets to make them unusable, or at best less consistent, but the powder is well contained. The Grip-n-pull pliers are cheap. The hammers are cheap. The collet pullers are less cheap, but still relatively cheap.

thanks .. have u used the grip-n-pull ?? i really don't call $35 cheap

stalkingbear 01-20-2018 01:31 PM

I've found the inertia or kinetic pullers work great as long as you don't have an large quantity to pull. Always smack them against concrete or asphalt. If you smack it against wood, it adsorbs some of the energy, making it harder to pull. I've had an RCBS puller since the mid 70s and it's still in service!

Nomercy448 01-20-2018 02:00 PM

I guess it's all relative...

Grip-n-pull = $40 and fits a handful of bullet diameters
Hammer type = ~$20-25 for effectively any cartridge (suck for lightweight bullets)
Hornady/RCBS/Forster collet type = $20-25 for the "die" + $10-12 per cartridge
RCBS Adjustable Collet puller = $125

So the hammer type is the cheapest option. Grip-n-pull is the second cheapest option, really, unless you only reload one caliber, where it effectively breaks even against a collet puller. Wanna pull 9 different calibers and don't care if you ruin bullets? The Hammer is $20, the GNP is $40, and the Collet types are $135...

I tend to think if you only have ONE, it should be a hammer type. Small caliber bullets suck on any of them, as they don't have much exposed bearing surface for gripping, and don't have much inertia to overcome the neck tension. With enough whacking, the hammer will get it. If the bullet grippers can't get a grip, they can't. But really, it's d@mned nice to have both options.

ETA: The grip-n-pull works fine - but you do need a means to hold the cartridge case securely. I use a Lee cartridge holder for their case trimming gear and T handled lock stud I made.

wild bill g 01-20-2018 09:15 PM

y hammer type got so cartridges went right through it a pain. So I bought the RCBS collet puller and never looked back. If I had just bought the RCBS in the first palce it would have been cheaper for me. The RCBS collet system is easy to use and the bullets are only marked by the case it self Marks further up on the bullet will not effect accuracy any way.

Nomercy448 01-21-2018 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by wild bill g (Post 4326444)
Marks further up on the bullet will not effect accuracy any way.

This coming from a guy who in another post was talking about 100yrd benchrest and shooting at a tiny dot...? When I was shooting 600/1000yrd benchrest, we trimmed and uniformed bullets to be sure they all had the least possible deviation in BC... It's proven different rifling types can cause different expansion responses in bullets, in how aggressively they engrave the bearing surface...

"Marks" left by mechanical gripping tools, especially the grip-n-pull, as in ogive distortions, gouges, scratches, dents, etc... on the bullet anywhere will affect the way they fly. If you have no expectation of precision, sure, bang away. If you want all of your bullets to fly the same, it's best not to have shark bite scars on your bullet.