Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Powder levels in .45 Colt?? >

Powder levels in .45 Colt??

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Powder levels in .45 Colt??

Old 12-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Banned

Default Powder levels in .45 Colt??

Just loading some .45 Colt using 12gr HS-6 and it occurred to me that in a horizontal position (in the cylinder) that the powder level may be below the primer. And probably is for any of the popular fast burning powders for this caliber; Red Dot, Titegroup, Win 231, etc.
Apparently this is a common occurrence . . . but what results would you get compared to say 26 gr. of H-110? Much fuller brass.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cowboy action shooters had this problem for years. Then someone got the great idea to make a bolder powder, Trail Boss. Remember that the .45 Colt round was originally a BP round. If you want to keep shooting smokeless powder, go with a bulk powder to fill the case as much as possible.

Your concern is real on the powder being below the primer. It is called "Flash Over!" and it can be dangerous.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:47 PM
Spike

This is why it is important to use the manuals. Some powders are position sensitive. Also, what rafsob said....I use Trailboss a lot but remember it is a fast burning pistol powder. Trailboss will also over fill the case if double charged, so no chance of a double charge without noticing ;-)