Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.300 Win Mag

Old 11-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

My expectation is the ELD-X's will be quite fragile, somewhere between an A-max which reliably expands and an SST. Knowing that, while I'm quite sure it'd kill elk, it wouldn't be my first choice. I picked up several hundred of the 200 ELD-X's at Hornady HQ in Grand Island last winter, and they shot very well in 30-06 (although very slow) and 300wm, so really they're more of a long range plinking bullet for me, with the advantage of being able to perforate deer efficiently and inexpensively.

But then again, I'm quite jaded for elk bullets, as I've never seen a NAB to do poorly in belted mags on elk, so my standard for quick kill yet deep penetration is pretty high. The TTSX is on my list of elk bullets as well, although I don't use them for much else. For elk, I don't really mind spending a buck or so per bullet, but for whitetails, the bar is markedly lower, so I don't spend mono-metal or bonded money on deer bullets. Although, if I have it how I'd prefer, my next firearm elk will be taken with a 400grn punch from 454C or a 300 from 44mag, so I'm not thinking much on rifle bullets.