Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Two distinct groups with the same load - what's happening? >

Two distinct groups with the same load - what's happening?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Two distinct groups with the same load - what's happening?

Old 10-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

... when it's so bad you don't even want to ignore list because that would prevent refutal of bad advice with proper advice and preventing someone read it and think it's good...
Old 10-06-2017, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Berserker
Which paticular pile of BS?
posts # 27 and 28, did you ever load any ammo before last week? your reasoning makes no sense, none of it, wanna argue point by point? we can not only will you lose but you already have anybody have the feeling Topgun is back?
RR
Old 10-07-2017, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

I will group shots with a clean barrel, and then have POI move after 3 or 4th shot.

More rounds, just to make sure you don't have some outlyers. Even with lead sled it can happen.

Not sure if you need to do 30-50. But I would fire some more. Letting barrel cool 10 minutes between shots, if you want the most accuracy. Fire a 10-20, and see what it looks like.

Another option, is to try another load or bullet.

If loaded the same, I don't believe it is actually producint 2 groups. You just got 2 bullets near each other, out of 5. Shoot some more.

I also say to watch how you are grabbing the trigger. Square your finger with it. Make sure not pulling it to one side. Again, I notice this more in handguns. But same idea.

Speaking from my bowels, I think seating depth is a different discussion.

Clean barrel. shoot 3 rounds. Then shoot 10 or more and see what you got. I like to number mine, more so for fouling shots, and as things get dirty.

You don't think clean barrels fire different? I have had groups that moved.

You don't think you should pull the trigger square?

You don't think trying another bullet or load is good?

You don't think practice is good?

I was reading Lyman 47th. Different approach to test hunting loads. Fire 4 shots kinda quick. Cool down. Then put target over old, and do it 10 more times or so. This is more extreme then what I do. But the idea is to learn what your hunting rifle and load will do.

Take it up with Lyman. Bt they have been in business a long time. I do get what they are saying. Which shoot, shoot, and shoot. THey cover one target over the over to look at a large sample.

I don't have the patience. But I definitely think it would tell you a lot about your gun, load, and skil. The flyers would show up.

I have never shot 4 times at an animal. Only once have I fired a 2nd shot, because snow was 4 feet deep and slowed him down. But I get the idea of firing 2 or 3 to see what your rifle will do in real world conditions.

When checking loads I wait 10 minutes between shots or so, but I am looking for accuracy in the load, not the rifle.

An intelligent man can debate things. A fool just says you are wrong.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
... when it's so bad you don't even want to ignore list because that would prevent refutal of bad advice with proper advice and preventing someone read it and think it's good...
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
posts # 27 and 28, did you ever load any ammo before last week? your reasoning makes no sense, none of it, wanna argue point by point? we can not only will you lose but you already have anybody have the feeling Topgun is back?
RR
I have gleamed from other posts you guys are Edited by JW Rule 1, and will address both at same time.

You say you are smart, but do not back it up.

You just say the other person is wrong, but again, do not back up.

Edited by JW Rule 5.

Last edited by JW; 10-07-2017 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Rule 1, 5 & 8. one month ban for sexual comments
Old 10-07-2017, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
did you ever load any ammo before last week?
RR
Just as much of an internet expert as you.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

From the little bit of searching I did I see that the OAL in a couple places list the .270 at 3.340" making your 3.405" .065" longer than a factory cartridge. This is fine unless your accuracy suffers or if they won't fit your magazine.
Try loading 10 bullets at different lengths from your 3.405' reducing the length by .010" for each set of 10. Then shoot 5 shot groups and see how or if your accuracy changes.
If the length is the issue you should see your groups tighten and hit same basic POI then begin to open up again. I wouldn't go below the 3.340" recommended OAL though.
Please keep us posted. I'd like to know your results.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:02 AM
Typical Buck

This thread is why i would not ask a question on any site .
If i have a problem i just start doing research in books and so on ? Trial and error are my best problem solvers .
I always have ideas when i read of a problem on site but i keep my thoughts to myself.
One thing i will say is i have seen the quality of bullets,brass and powder go down hill in the last 10 or 15 years ! Quality control at the factory's seems to gone by the way side.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Spike

Hi Folks,

This thread has brought out some very spirited opinions. I always learn something new from these sorts of discussions.

I recently reviewed some of my old targets and found a similar problem (two distinct groups within the same load) in some of my reloading efforts. Please see my thread called "Unexplained Fliers". I have been reading a lot about bullet seating depth lately. And along with the thoughts presented in this thread, I think one possible cause of my problem was that the jump distances of some of my loads were approaching zero. That is, the Cartridge Base To Ogive (CBTO) length was getting too close to the jam length. There is always some error in any measurement or any operation such as seating a bullet. So... I might have inadvertently had a few rounds within a particular batch where the bullet's ogive would touch the rifling when it was chambered. When the round was fired, this would have caused a larger than normal "pressure spike" and would have changed the way the rifle barrel vibrates as the bullet travels down it. It's like two different loads within the same batch. I am now seating my bullets slightly deeper.

Thanks for you thoughts on this subject,
Ron
Old 10-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mounting man
This thread is why i would not ask a question on any site .
If i have a problem i just start doing research in books and so on ? Trial and error are my best problem solvers .
I always have ideas when i read of a problem on site but i keep my thoughts to myself.
One thing i will say is i have seen the quality of bullets,brass and powder go down hill in the last 10 or 15 years ! Quality control at the factory's seems to gone by the way side.
The reason I ask here is that while researching the issue, I came up with a multitude of potential fixes suggested by people on other websites, not all of which are practical to test. For instance, people have said double grouping can result from loose scope mounting screws, bad scopes, improperly bedded barrels/actions, improper grip on the forend, loose action screws, excessive OAL, fouled bore, etc., and that's not even the full extent of the proposed solutions. While I'll certainly try different solutions myself, the reason I asked here is that there are several far more accomplished rifle shooters here whose opinions I trust to help me narrow down the potential causes of my problem.

I'd have shot it again yesterday, but it rained all yesterday afternoon and continues to today. Looks like I'll have to wait until next weekend.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

TN, try this, back them off .030, also if you use standard dies, do this when seating, hold bullet in the case, and seat it just a bit, back the ram off, spin your case 60 degrees, seat a bit more, back off spin it again, and fully seat your bullets keeps run-out to a minimum if your using a standard FL sizer.
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.