Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Two distinct groups with the same load - what's happening? >

Two distinct groups with the same load - what's happening?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Two distinct groups with the same load - what's happening?

Old 10-05-2017, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

How much deeper should I seat them? Suggested OAL is 3.210", and my current OAL is 3.405", so should I seat them to the suggested OAL or something like 3.300" instead?

Also, I'll check the action screws and clean the barrel, too.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:18 AM
Spike

Why load them long in the first place? Not trying to be a smart a$$ but curious if you had a thought on loading so far outside of the recommended length.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
How much deeper should I seat them? Suggested OAL is 3.210", and my current OAL is 3.405", so should I seat them to the suggested OAL or something like 3.300" instead?
How much jump were you trying to allow at 3.405"? What's your jam length for that rifle with that bullet?
Old 10-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ctom
Why load them long in the first place? Not trying to be a smart a$$ but curious if you had a thought on loading so far outside of the recommended length.
Better accuracy. I seat bullets similarly long in my 300 Win Mag and 221 Fireball Encore pistol barrels, and it noticeably improved the accuracy. The 300 shoots 1 MOA, while the 221 is capable of about .5 MOA when I do my part.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
How much jump were you trying to allow at 3.405"? What's your jam length for that rifle with that bullet?
I was trying for about .02".
Old 10-05-2017, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I start at .030" off the lands, they shoot faster at less pressure if given some jump. best group I ever shot measured .04 MOA at a lazer ranged 752 yards, was .030 off the lands. also keep runout to a minimum will help also, the straighter you start your bullet into the lands the quicker it stabilizes.
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 10-05-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

Why would his seating depth be different? Did he take his dies apart and set them again?

I though powder charge was different. If its the same, I say human error. Possibly the way he is grabbing trigger. This is more prevelent in hand guns, for me though.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ctom
As said closer to the land is often more accurat.

One of my theories as as way some cheap guns are accurat is the lands are very close. My old 700 very far away. Savage, close.

Having them close may restrict the amount of powder you can add, if you want to go beyong published data. Obviouly may make the rifle a single shot too.

I am not sure it will account for lateral movement. Maybe others have seen it.

As I said, since they are grouping, just a different spot, I say human factor. Maybe someone has seen different.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Some long range shooter vary the depth before working on loads. I vary loads and bullet first, but I am not a long range shooter, or a pro.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Berserker
Some long range shooter vary the depth before working on loads. I vary loads and bullet first, but I am not a long range shooter, or a pro.
wrong! why not just stick with what you know.
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.