Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Small Base Dies

Old 09-23-2017, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

Load is irrelevant. If the round is a little oversized, the pump gun doesn't give you the leverage advantage to CLOSE the bolt. A slightly oversized round might actually open easier after firing compared to how it closed when loaded.

No idea what you meant to say here, as it reads like gibberish to me.

My question was, how do rounds sized with small base dies compare to factory sized brass, that is meant to fit in every rifle?

I really havn't noticed that it is harder to close a loaded pump. What I have noticed is that if you don't close it with some force, it may not go off. I'd be curious to try a small base die. But the action of a pump is not the same as a bolt, as that the handle locks in a bolt at a definite stop.

As for camming and extraction and loads, higher pressure loads can be harder to extract, once fired ,in pumps.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Yct.

Small base dies have a purpose. Failing to understand cartridge-to-chamber fitment or firearms action design does not negate the purpose or advantage of a small base die for applications it is needed.

I am not expert, and admit. But to me, the bolt is not that different on my 7600 and 700, as to how it headspaces the round in the barrel. To me the action driving the bolt, is the difference.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It IS the action driving the bolt which is the difference - which is the entire point of the small base die.

When your 7600 "won't go off" because you didn't close it with force, it's the bolt's failure to fully lock into battery. I.e. Cinderella's foot didn't quite fit into the shoe, so it didn't quite go on all the way, now she can't dance at the ball.

Why didn't the bolt close fully? What is preventing it from cleanly and easily closing fully into battery? Might be excessive headspace, might be excessive base diameter.

You'll note, you often see the same problem with factory ammo as you see with standard FL resized brass - just a little difficult to close into battery. So while factory ammo "should" fit any chamber, quite frankly, it just doesn't fit many chambers well. While a slight "crush fit" is advantageous for precision, and doesn't cause issues for a bolt gun with sufficient locking leverage, the pump action design lacks this leverage, and can't tolerate the same cartridge over-size dimensions as a bolt gun.

If a guy doesn't understand it, it's no less of a reality.

If your slide closes slowly and dry-fires on an empty chamber, then it should equally close and fire slowly on a loaded cartridge. If it doesn't, then there's something dimensionally wrong with the cartridge. If that dimensional mis-fitment is the base diameter, then a small base die will fix your problem.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

That all may be true. But I am positive, you simply are not extending the bolt far enough. I don't notice a difference closing it loaded or not. But I am not be sensitive enough to it.

I am just skeptical when here stuff about pumps. People say they are not accurate. What I do notice is mine heats up fast, and fouls quickly, which gives people that impression. But I have it to 1MOA, and practice and loads, could probably do better.

If I came across some bases, I play with them. But noting going to go out and buy them. It seems weird that Remington would build a rifle that can't shoot factory ammo. But I also realize things can be improved
Old 09-23-2017, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Berserker
That all may be true.
It is.

But I am positive, you simply are not extending the bolt far enough.
Yup, that's the problem. The slide action doesn't afford the shooter enough leverage to "crush fit" the cartridge into the chamber, so it doesn't fully close into battery. Using a small base die will fix that.

I don't notice a difference closing it loaded or not.
Seems like you're lying to yourself when you say this, since you've already said:

With factory ammo, I know I can't sneak a round in. I can't imagine being able to.
What I have noticed is that if you don't close it with some force, it may not go off.
Sure seems like you're noticing a difference, when you said yourself you have to run the slide with some force otherwise you won't get full lock up...

But I [may] not be sensitive enough to it.
You wouldn't be sensitive to it when you run the slide forcefully. But as you said yourself, you "can't sneak a round in." That's a cartridge sizing problem, whether you're too ignorant to acknowledge it or not.

I am just skeptical when here stuff about pumps. People say they are not accurate.
I didn't say they're not accurate, so don't get your panties in a twist just because you like pump guns and you took this thread as an insult to your manhood. I pointed out the reason behind the troubles you yourself admit to having with feeding rounds, which is a common issue for many pump action rifles. You're not the only guy who has ran a pump rifle in their life, and many men before you or I have seen the advantage of running small base dies to make pump guns run smoother.

It seems weird that Remington would build a rifle that can't shoot factory ammo. But I also realize things can be improved
Remington did make a rifle which can shoot factory ammunition - but it requires the slide to be ran hard to do so. Dozens if not hundreds of AR manufacturers make their rifles overgassed, which beats up their own action, and beats up their brass... Not their problem if it works well enough in the field. Ruger Mark Series pistols are the most popular 22LR pistol on the market, and they come with what many of us consider to be DREADFUL triggers, requiring a $25 replacement sear from Volquartsen. And just like using small base dies with semi-auto and pump action rifles, the gas flow on those AR's, and the triggers in Ruger Mark Series pistols "can be improved" too...

But there are plenty of fools who stick themselves into the mud at their own detriment and refuse to tamper with anything in their AR-15, or replace the fire control components of their Mark Series pistols, or try small base dies to help let them "sneak a round into" their pump gun...

I've tried hard enough to lead this particular horse to water...
Old 09-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

I don't take this as an insult to my manhood. I am just not convinced some guy on the internet who is convinced he is right, is right.

If you read my posts, I am not convinced an empty rifle close easier.

The racking mechanism on a bolt and pump is worls apart. I am not convinced it can be an easier. But like I said, I would try some if I came across them.

I do find it hard to believe that remingtom corlockts don't fit well into a remington 760.

Myself, I got a pump, bolt, and lever. This year will be lever. Next you will tell me I can quitely load lever too.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rest assured if NM, says it, its a fact!
RR
Old 09-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

I just don't trust people when they are so cock sure. He may be right. But he comes across as a winner.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

then why ask questions forum if you don't believe the answers? NM is the most intelligent gun nut I have ever shot the $hit with, he will not steer you wrong.
RR
Old 09-25-2017, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
then why ask questions forum if you don't believe the answers? NM is the most intelligent gun nut I have ever shot the $hit with, he will not steer you wrong.
RR
I came here to discuss, not accept blindly. Again, I am not saying he is wrong. I have heard the small base die parrotted before. But I just don't believe the bolt will ever close quiete on a pump, due to ts design. Maybe small base will make it better.

He is confident enough in his knowledge, for the both of us. But that does not make him automatically right, and others wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.