Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Spider web in case >

Spider web in case

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Spider web in case

Old 06-26-2017, 05:34 PM
Spike

Default Spider web in case

Dad and myself were reloading some 243 ammo tonight and he could not fill one case, the powder kept over flowing and when he tried to dump the powder out alot of it would stick inside, when I looked inside the case I could see some powder suspended right in the middle of the case and upon closer examination it looked like the powder was stuck in a spider web. Sure enough when I poked it out with a pick it was a silky white spider web. In over 20 years of reloading I have never seen this before. The cases were cleaned and sized and primed less than a month ago. Very strange.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well then I assume you stored them in an opened container. I've had cases primed and ready to load for months but always in a container with a tight fitting lid.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well then I assume you stored them in an opened container. I've had cases primed and ready to load for months but always in a container with a tight fitting lid.
Exactly, if they were primed and ready to load like the OP stated!
Old 06-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

That's a new one on me.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:16 PM
Spike

Bronko22000 you are correct I did not have them in a sealed container but who would have thought a tiny spider would get inside a small necked case and spin a web?
Old 07-03-2017, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

should have chambered it in your rifle and touched it off with just the primer. would have really blowed that spiders mind. just kidding.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sauer14
Bronko22000 you are correct I did not have them in a sealed container but who would have thought a tiny spider would get inside a small necked case and spin a web?
It doesn't really matter that the spider did that because that is only one thing that happened. You should also keep them in a closed container to eliminate the possibility of moisture contaminating the primer while the case is open, rather than covered at all times after priming.