HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Reloading unfired brass (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/412652-reloading-unfired-brass.html)

Mr. Longbeard 03-20-2017 09:07 AM

Reloading unfired brass

I have 2 boxs of 35 Remington ammo that will not chamber all the way in my 336... I was thinking about pulling bullets and powder and running them through resizing die and then reloading them... can that be done???

muzzlestuffer 03-20-2017 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard (Post 4298039)
I have 2 boxs of 35 Remington ammo that will not chamber all the way in my 336... I was thinking about pulling bullets and powder and running them through resizing die and then reloading them... can that be done???

Yeah remove powder and the decapping pin out of die.

muzzlestuffer 03-20-2017 10:23 AM

Was it new when you got it ? If so I always full length resize the first time then fire size for that gun.

muzzlestuffer 03-20-2017 10:25 AM

Oh I think you are saying it was loaded ammo ? If so factory ?

Mr. Longbeard 03-20-2017 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer (Post 4298048)
Oh I think you are saying it was loaded ammo ? If so factory ?

Yes loaded

bronko22000 03-20-2017 12:19 PM

If it's loaded factory ammo I'd definitely take it back where you got it. If handloaded you can pull the bullet and dump the powder. You may want to weigh a charge after pulling the bullet so you can recharge the cases with the same amount. Lube the cases and resize. I'd recommend Hornady One Shot to lube as it won't contaminate the primer or powder. But BEFORE YOU SIZE back off the decapping pin but don't remove completely. You need the expander ball to size the inside of the case mouth on its way out of the die. Just back the decapper out enough so it doesn't contact the bottom of the case (primer).

Nomercy448 03-20-2017 02:36 PM

Bronco has it - don't remove the decapping pin, just withdraw it far enough such it only penetrates through the case neck.

I might do a little measuring to understand why they don't chamber before I did any resizing though. Something is amiss.

Forgive me if I'm easily confused - is this FACTORY ammo?

Mr. Longbeard 03-20-2017 02:52 PM

Yes factory Winchester 35 Remington ammo bought at midway USA on clearance... Never again Winchester!!!

Nomercy448 03-20-2017 02:59 PM

Weird... Can you tell where it is making contact? Is the headspace too long, or the bullet (assuming headspace)? Is the shoulder bulged at all?

muzzlestuffer 03-20-2017 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4298076)
Bronco has it - don't remove the decapping pin, just withdraw it far enough such it only penetrates through the case neck.

I might do a little measuring to understand why they don't chamber before I did any resizing though. Something is amiss.

Forgive me if I'm easily confused - is this FACTORY ammo?

Yeah I said remove the decapper my bad ! Are there anyou dents in case after trying to close Bolt? I would pull a bullet on one then try to close Bolt if it still not close try to resize one.