Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Keeping a reloading journal >

Keeping a reloading journal

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Keeping a reloading journal

Old 03-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Spike

Hi Folks,

I am fairly new to reloading. I started about four years ago. But from the beginning, I kept all my 30-06 Springfield experiments in an Excel spreadsheet. I also keep targets of promising loads. I try to record basic information right on the targets.

One of the other things I do is use a lot of ZIP lock bags to categorize my brass and what stages of inspection, cleaning, resizing, deburring and/or preparation they are in. I just write a quick note to myself about the details and drop it in the bag. That way I can come back a week or so later and pick up right where I left off.

Recently, I started a new project - "My Low Cost Target Rifle". So, now I have two Excel reloading spreadsheets. One for my father's old 1903-A3 and another spreadsheet for my Ruger American Predator Rifle chambered for .243 Winchester cartridges. I also use Microsoft's Word to keep a journal for all the stuff I do for my new project (most recently, replacing the plastic stock).

Super Hunt54 and Nomercy448... I am impressed... WOW!!! That is some serious data. You guys must be very organized. I agree... Microsoft's Excel is a great place to start logging your reloading details and notes. Not many people have heard of Microsoft's ACCESS. ACCESS is like EXCEL, but on steroids! In a past life (I retired more than a decade ago)... I wrote VBA code for small turn-key ACCESS database applications. Occasionally, I still do a volunteer project for charitable/non-profit organizations.

Have A Great Day,
Ron