Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Tul ammo

Old 01-18-2017, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Default Tul ammo

With the family and work I can't keep up with reloading for my high volume stuff. 9mm and .223.... I shoot allot of 9mm as it's my duty pistol. And would like to shoot more from the AR as well.. How is Tul Ammo just for practice ammo. I've always heard that it's junk, and even heard that it could damage your gun eventually if you shoot allot of it. I've put a box of 50 through my Glock 17 and it shot well... It's the cheapest stuff online that I can find. SO... am I ok to shoot this stuff through my Glock, or could it potentially cause unnecessary wear/ any other issue. Just looking for cheap bulk ammo.

-Jake
Old 01-19-2017, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly Jake, it's about the worst stuff you could feed ANY firearm. How the hell they stay in business I have no clue because ANYONE that respects and cares for their firearm won't shoot that crap. I think that American Eagle has 1000 round cases for around $220 or so at various places. ....Found some even cheaper than that but I dunno how much with shipping and such... http://ammunitionstore.com/products/...ound-case.html I've ran a few boxes of that AE through a few of my 9's and was pleased with it's running. And that was through a couple of picky 1911 type pistols with fairly touchy actions. That Glock should be 100% happy shooting it.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:01 AM
Typical Buck

What makes it "junk"? Does it have bad bullets, corrosive powder/primers? Are tolerances bad? Never shot or owned any just wandering what makes them dangerous or junk.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's steel cased for one grinder. The dirtiest ammo I've ever seen. And if memory serves, the bullets are copper washed steel as well. Over all, Tula ammo isn't good for your weapon period.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
It's steel cased for one grinder. The dirtiest ammo I've ever seen. And if memory serves, the bullets are copper washed steel as well. Over all, Tula ammo isn't good for your weapon period.
Thanks! Doesn't sound like anything I would shoot
Old 01-19-2017, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

The steel case isn't so much the problem itself. It kinda compounds the problem. Steel doesn't expand and make a gas seal like brass does, so you tend to get a lot of burnt powder and other garbage that can blow back into the action. Mix that with some really dirty powder, and it can make a real mess of. The deal breaker for me is the bi-metal jacketed bullets. As super_hunt mentioned, its basically just copper washed steel. They are hard on rifling.

The other thing to consider about Tula is that it's literally the bottom of the barrel. Its not related to their handgun ammo, but there was a period when Tula was using super cheap powder in their .223 ammo. The powder created a bizarre pressure curve that, unless you were running it through a relatively over-gassed carbine, it would not cycle an AR.

I've never shot handguns enough to justify buying cheap ammo, but there was a period when I was burning through a lot of Wolf .223 in my AR's. Now that I'm older, wiser, and a lot less trigger happy, I've moved away from the cheap stuff and focused more on accuracy. The last case of Wolf ammo I bought is sitting in the back of a closet, waiting for a zombie apocalypse to start.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

Here is an interesting test on steel cased vs brass.
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/
Old 01-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your Dept doesn't supply you ammo for practice???
Old 01-19-2017, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hate to say it, but if it's a duty pistol, it's a common model, and barrels are available at relatively low cost. Eventually, low cost ammo savings buy you a new barrel.

Buy a practice barrel for $150-200, load 'em up, clean it often. It isn't good for you, but hey, either is rum & coke.

I don't shoot it myself, but if you're planning in advance to treat a practice barrel like a two dollar whore, I can respect that strategy.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's certainly a way to go Mercy but let me ask you this..What is the point of saving money on ammo just to have to use money saved to buy a new barrel because the junk you ran through it ruined it?? Peter paying Paul there right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.