Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Tul ammo

Old 01-24-2017, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cjclemens
^^^As much as I love to argue with super_hunt, I have to agree with this.^^^

If I was a professional, I would probably be inclined to practice with the same ammo I carry on duty. That said, the word professional has likely never been used to describe me in any way, so take that for what its worth.
It would cost me over $700/1,000 rounds to practice with what I carry. That's just not realistic when I shoot thousands of rounds each year. I also don't see the need, or the advantage, to practice with the same ammunition when regular bulk ammo works fine. I could send around 5,000 rounds of bulk downrange for what 1,000 rounds of duty ammo would cost me. I'm not trying to shoot 1/2 groups here. Just my opinion though. Maybe I'm just cheap.

The thing that matters most is your point of impact. In 9mm I notice very little variance in recoil, at least with what I've used. So point of impact is what needs to be close. I verify that with any ammo I'm carrying or practicing with. Good defensive shooting is something you eventually get a feel for, rather than carefully aiming... Muscle Memory is probably the correct term... Not to say that I don't aim, but if you can put three rounds center mass in under a second, you're really not consciously aiming... At that point it's knowing your pistol and knowing what movements you have to make to draw and get rounds on target.

I had found a cheap deal on tulaaammo. And wanted to see if the rumors I'd heard about it where true. They were confirmed here as being true. So I'll go with a regular brass bulk ammo. Like American Eagle or something similar. So as to limit wear on my Glock.
-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 01-24-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jake, I wasn't saying practice with your usual carry ammo. I was saying find ammo that is SIMILAR in bullet grain and powder load that will shoot with or very near your regular carry ammo. I'm assuming your main practice distance is around 10-15 yards correct? Muscle memory, as I said earlier, is a very key component to practicing for self defense. Practicing with something that hits/targets, and FEELS way different than your regular carry ammo is the same as practicing with a 600 grain arrow with a Traditional rig and then going hunting with a 500 grain. Just not smart. Your muscle memory will kick in under stress and you will be shooting horribly if you have practiced with something a lot different. Bad practice is actually worse than no practice!

So what is it you carry on duty? Given that info, I'm sure one of us will be able to find something similar in bullet grain and load so that you won't be practicing bad!
Old 01-25-2017, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
It would cost me over $700/1,000 rounds to practice with what I carry. That's just not realistic when I shoot thousands of rounds each year. I also don't see the need, or the advantage, to practice with the same ammunition when regular bulk ammo works fine. I could send around 5,000 rounds of bulk downrange for what 1,000 rounds of duty ammo would cost me. I'm not trying to shoot 1/2 groups here. Just my opinion though. Maybe I'm just cheap.

The thing that matters most is your point of impact. In 9mm I notice very little variance in recoil, at least with what I've used. So point of impact is what needs to be close. I verify that with any ammo I'm carrying or practicing with. Good defensive shooting is something you eventually get a feel for, rather than carefully aiming... Muscle Memory is probably the correct term... Not to say that I don't aim, but if you can put three rounds center mass in under a second, you're really not consciously aiming... At that point it's knowing your pistol and knowing what movements you have to make to draw and get rounds on target.

I had found a cheap deal on tulaaammo. And wanted to see if the rumors I'd heard about it where true. They were confirmed here as being true. So I'll go with a regular brass bulk ammo. Like American Eagle or something similar. So as to limit wear on my Glock.
-Jake
Understood. Just out of curiosity, what ammo do you carry on duty?
Old 01-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Currently the Department issues Winchester Ranger T series... it's a 147gr 9mm. As with everything else... that decision is based on who gives the best deal when they're buying. So it can change year to year. But currently that's what is issued.
-Jake
Old 01-26-2017, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jake, I don't buy ammo and haven't for many years other than a box or 3 here and there for manufacturer testing. But I did a little searching and found some relatively good deals. Well good compared to what the soaring ammo costs are today anyway.

http://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-147-g...an-1000-rounds

https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/629-...nic-fnfmj.html

This one, click the "select" tab and click to 1000 case. really good price and free shipping! https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...9fp-p-661.aspx

You could go cheaper and drop down to the 124 grain without there being TOO much difference but there will be a difference. Since I know you are into archery then I KNOW you KNOW what I am talking about with practicing with the same grain weights. Since my close up vision is pretty much hammered, I primarily shoot defense handguns instinctive. Still accurate enough to qualify in any Dept. in the nation as well as Federal but not anywhere near the accuracy I used to have. Been in a few scraps with firearms and I can tell you from experience that you DEFINITELY want to train your muscles and reflexes to at least similar to what you will be carrying. It is a point that is all too often overlooked by trainers.

Last edited by super_hunt54; 01-26-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

SH, agreed. I think budgets and what's cheapest becomes the primary focus for most departments. Rather than what benefits the Officers the most. It can be frustrating.
-Jake
Old 01-29-2017, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cjclemens
^^^As much as I love to argue with super_hunt, I have to agree with this.^^^

If I was a professional, I would probably be inclined to practice with the same ammo I carry on duty. That said, the word professional has likely never been used to describe me in any way, so take that for what its worth.
100% agreed. We shoot over 2000rnds yearly with our duty weapons. We carry the same round as what we practice with. We order in 250K in pistol rounds and 100K in rifle rounds yearly. And throw in 25K for shotgun as well. We do practice with Trap loads for the shotgun, but qual with the big stuff when we have to.