Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
H-110 and CCI 300 Large Pistol Primer >

H-110 and CCI 300 Large Pistol Primer

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

H-110 and CCI 300 Large Pistol Primer

Old 12-27-2016, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default H-110 and CCI 300 Large Pistol Primer

I bought some H-110 powder and I usually use CCI 350 magnum pistol primers but my supplier is all out... He said I could use the CCI 300 LARGE PISTOL PRIMERS... When I got home I broke out my reloading manuals and did some reseat on net and I'm getting mixed advice... One Manuel says to use CCI 300 one manual recommends WLP.... But when I get on Internet 99.9999% of everybody say magnum primers with H-110 only!!!! "Because it's slow burning powder" so can somebody that maybe has some experience shooting H-110 with CCI 300 large pistol primer in a 44 mag chime in and clarify this...
Old 12-27-2016, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

This powder/primer combo is for the 44 Mag revolver S&W model 626 classic and for the Henry 44 mag/44 special Big Boy steel 22" Barrel
Old 12-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

H-110 is far too "rigid" for me honestly. If you have Unique or Power Pistol on hand, give one of them a try. LiL-Gun and Herco are also excellent in .44mag loads. Herco ESPECIALLY with big boy bullets like 240gr and above. And yes H-110 is a very slow powder which is what makes it a good one for the .44mag. The main problem with it though is, as I said, it's rigid as hell when it comes to loads. It's pretty much an "all or nothing" type in loadings. I personally use 14gr Power Pistol with a 240gr JSP and Fed 150 primer in my Super Redhawk getting right at 1480fps. I also have a few Unique loads that were fantastic as well. NoMercy also has a few loads that are pretty sporty using Unique. H-110, as I said before is a pretty good powder for the .44mag but in my own personal experience, LiL-gun, Herco, Power Pistol, and Unique are much better and a hell of a lot more variable.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Magnum primers are an advantage with H110/W296, but you can make do just fine with standard large pistol primers.

Winchester WLP's are generally considered a "semi-magnum," so it's not uncommon to see them listed in some manuals. Most manuals I have use magnum primers for all 44mag, or at least have an asterisk beside H110/W296 loads to denote the use of mag primers.

I'll admit, I'm on the fence to say I believe there's any combustion driven reason for mag primers for most loads, so the recommendation is often made based on the thicker primer cup and less resultant flattening and cratering - or piercing. So long as you don't develop blow by torching or a lot of pierced primers, usually CCI300's work just fine.

You MAY - which is to say reputable loaders who have earned my respect have stated this to me, but I have never experienced it myself (most likely because I almost always use mag primers) - experience irregular velocities and greater ES's with standard LP's than with Mag LP's. You also might find yourself stuck to a narrower window near the top than a loader using mag primers, as H110 at low end loads can offer inconsistent ignition - having a mag primer helps ensure even the low end loads burn regularly.

Roll 'em up and try 50-100 of them. If it goes wonky, stop. Most likely, you'll find a load which runs just fine.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
I bought some H-110 powder and I usually use CCI 350 magnum pistol primers but my supplier is all out... He said I could use the CCI 300 LARGE PISTOL PRIMERS... When I got home I broke out my reloading manuals and did some reseat on net and I'm getting mixed advice... One Manuel says to use CCI 300 one manual recommends WLP.... But when I get on Internet 99.9999% of everybody say magnum primers with H-110 only!!!! "Because it's slow burning powder" so can somebody that maybe has some experience shooting H-110 with CCI 300 large pistol primer in a 44 mag chime in and clarify this...
I've been using h110 in my .454 loads for years h110 great magnum powder especially in cold weather I would strongly suggest you don't use 300 primers. Not sure how full your cases are of powder but 300 might not ignite the powder charge and you'll end up with a bullet half way down the barrel and that won't be good if you fire the next round Imo!
Old 12-27-2016, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like cci 350 are the ticket...
Old 12-28-2016, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
If you live in az I can help you with your primer problem?
Old 12-28-2016, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I both load for and shoot quite a lot of 44mag with H110/Win296 and have always used WLP without somuch as a glitch in warm and cold weather. I have used the CCI 300 as well. I have loaded both primers with H110/Win296 and placed in the freezer for several days and took outside in a cooler and shot over my chrony in my backyard range to see the difference between rounds left on the table. The velocity and SD were minimal to say the least between the two.

Last edited by SecondChance; 12-29-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys for the replays !!! I think I'll just buy the mag primers and be done with it😉