Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Progressive Reloader >

Progressive Reloader

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Progressive Reloader

Old 02-02-2002, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Progressive Reloader

I'm considering buying a progressive reloader and wondering which one is the best for around $350. I've heard the Dillon 550, but just want other opinions. Zeak
Old 02-02-2002, 10:11 AM

Default RE: Progressive Reloader

A Dillon 550 is a good press but the only thing I don't like about it is that it does not auto index. If a press doesn't auto index, it's too easy to make a mistake. I like the Hornady Progressive Press and it runs for about $319 or so in Midway USA.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:00 AM

Zeak,

With all due respect to Shooter Dan, DO NOT!!! buy a Hornady progressive press, buy a Dillon 550B.

A few years ago I had a case of the “got to get it nows” and bought a Hornady “Lock-n-Load” progressive press instead of waiting for a Dillon to be shipped to me. BIG MISSTAKE!! Right from the box the Hornady was out of time and had to be adjusted, the powder measure would constantly stick in the dispense position, the problems with this press were never ending. But the worse part of owning a Hornady product I found out was their customer service, which stinks at best. I called repeatedly about the problems I was having with the powder measure sticking I was told to “read the directions”. Trust me I had, more than once. Yes I used graphite like I was told to do, yes I “worked the burs off” but it would still stick in the dispense position. I sent the powder measure back after a number of insults from their customer service personal. I did receive a new powder measure from them, which of course still stuck. I worked at removing the burs and using graphite until the measure seemed to be working reasonably well. By the way don’t even think about using extruded powder. I had loaded about 500 45acp loads for IPSC competition which only took about 3 months to get loaded considering all the BS I went through with their customer service trying to get their press working. So off to the range I went for some IPSC competition. With me I take my custom Caspian match comp gun. Can you say BIG money?

Well I discovered in a most spectacular way that the powder measure had stuck once again in the dispense position while loading these rounds. While smokin through a rack of pepper poppers my pride and joy comp gun detonated in my hands. The barrel burst, the magazine was blown out of the mag well, the red dot scope mounts were blown out of the frame, the slide was bulged to the point it had to be cut from the frame. Luckily I still have 10 fingers and eyes to see them with. I ended up with only minor powder burns and a destroyed pistol.

To make a long story short what we discovered was that the powder measure had once again stuck in the dispense position thereby not dispensing powder in the following round. While speed shooting the pepper poppers the round not having any powder entered the chamber and the primer placed the bullet just down the barrel. Using the light recoil springs commonly in use on comp guns the primer alone had enough power to cycle the slide and chamber another round and in an instant a $2500 gun was turned into a useless lump of steel.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:02 AM

What did Hornady do? After talking with their customer service and getting nowhere I worked my way up through their management until I talked with Steve Hornady himself. He asked if I would send my gun to them for evaluation, which I did. They then sent it off to Caspian for their evaluation. Caspian evaluated the gun and returned it to Hornady with their findings. After months of trying to get somewhere with Hornady I called Steve Hornady’s office and was informed by that the problem was I didn’t know how to reload ( so much for 25 years of reloading experience) and Hornady was returning my gun to me (cut in pieces). I was told not to call them back as they felt that this was settled. I had to threaten them with legal action simply to take back their press.

So I have never bought another Hornady product.

I did buy a Dillon 550 which I have never had even the slightest problem with. I did drop the powder measure down a flight of concrete stairs while moving and broke it. I called Dillon to buy a replacement, guess what? They sent me a brand new one FREE even though it was my fault. A friend of mine’s house burned down and he recovered his 2 550’s from the ashes and sent them to Dillon to see if they could be repaired. Dillon sent him a letter telling him how sorry they were for the lost of his house, and 2 brand new presses at NO CHARGE.

Hornady? Don’t waste your time or money.

Buy Dillon.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:38 AM

Steelshooter-

That was a most intresting post from you about Hornady. I have a copy of their progressive, the model just before the lock n load. I have had my share of problems with it and with Hornady, but thankfully not to that degree.

My real addition to this discussin is this, that the gun business is full of some rather non-service oriented people, and there are some good ones but by and large, I am fed up with bad service. I am tired of people who won't take resposibility for their products. Its not just in the industry, but anywhere I go anymore.
I urge everyone here, do not ever lay down for anyone if you have spent good money on something, get the value out of it or money back! No excuses!
Old 02-03-2002, 11:43 PM

ZEAK,
I've had a Dillon 550B for about twelve years and I don't know how I ever got along without it. I load about a dozen pistol calibres and the .223 R. for a AR-15. I do a lot of pistol shooting and couldn't do near as much without the Dillon. They have what they call a "NO B.S. WARRANTY" and that is exactly what they mean. I stuck a case in the Dillon sizing die. While removeing it I broke the decapping pin. This was completely my fault. I called Dillon's to order a new one. They wouldn't accept my order. They sent one free. When I got it, it was the entire decapping spindle, not just the pin. Try it, you'll like it. I hope that this is of some help.
Old 02-03-2002, 11:45 PM

ZEAK,
I've had a Dillon 550B for about twelve years and I don't know how I ever got along without it. I load about a dozen pistol calibres and the .223 R. for a AR-15. I do a lot of pistol shooting and couldn't do near as much without the Dillon. They have what they call a "NO B.S. WARRANTY" and that is exactly what they mean. I stuck a case in the Dillon sizing die. While removeing it I broke the decapping pin. This was completely my fault. I called Dillon's to order a new one. They wouldn't accept my order. They sent one free. When I got it, it was the entire decapping spindle, not just the pin. Try it, you'll like it. I hope that this is of some help.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you guys think about the RCBS Pro 2000 Progressive Press?
Old 02-05-2002, 11:49 AM

I have a Lee Turret Press with auto index that I've probably loaded 30,000 rounds with and I have had absolutely no problems. I also have the Hornady Progressive Press that I've had for over 2 years and I also have had some problems with but thank goodness, nothing like Steelshooter has had. My problem was also with the powder measure. I was getting inconsistant loads that would vary up and down by as much as .5 grains and this is with using Bullseye and W231 powders. Luckily I was able to fix the problem by running some powdered graphite though the powder measure and cleaning it up real good. After reading what Steelshooter said about Hornady and the lack of service, I no longer trust them and will no longer be a customer of Hornady products.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:56 PM

I've also had nothing but good to say about Dillon products. I had a 1050 which I used for .45 acp. I sold it only to buy a 550 so I can load for rifle as well. There is simply no way you can go wrong buying Dillon products.

Quick Reply: Progressive Reloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.