HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Loading slugs 12 & 20ga. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/408872-loading-slugs-12-20ga.html)

alleyyooper 09-15-2016 01:31 AM

Loading slugs 12 & 20ga.

Loading slugs for shot guns isn't all that hard. It does go better if you have a press like the single stage Mec 600jr. You can get away with one of those lee hand loaders too. I have not seen a lee hand loader in years how ever.
You will also probably want a roll crimp tool also. Works best on a drill press but you can get away with just a cord less drill and taking your time. You will also need to have a load data book.
If you don't want to rely on the loaders powder bushing to drop the correct charge you will want some type of powder scale. Most slug reloader feel that the powder bushings do not throw consistent charges. Since I reload for rifle and pistol I weigh each charge on my scale.

The press is handy to punch out the spent primers, throw the powder charge and press in the sabot & slug at a set pressure. If you want a standard fold crimp like on the shot shells the press is handy for that too.

You can buy the sabots and slugs & roll crimper here and if you want to mold your own slugs they sell a molds for that.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Slugs/departments/198/

Here is another source for sabots and slugs also.

http://slugsrus.com/

:D Al

Bocajnala 09-15-2016 06:05 PM

I used to get all my slugs from an older guy up the road who loaded them. He's stopped loading though about 8 years ago. His shot very well. Back to paying $15/box
-Jake

super_hunt54 09-15-2016 07:36 PM

As little as the kids and I shoot the sluggers, it's just not worth the expense to us. Even though this is a SG/ML only state, most just don't shoot their sluggers enough to justify the expense of the equipment. Aint seen a 12 slugger yet that was pleasant to shoot. Now the 20's...some of them are downright enjoyable.

alleyyooper 09-16-2016 01:59 AM

If you loaded your own so they cost less per shot you might shoot more. I know I do.
I have a Remington 870 slugger in 20ga. I had shot my hunting partners 12ga with a Hastings barrel and right then knew I didn't ever want a 12ga.

:D Al

Bocajnala 09-16-2016 11:38 AM

I've got a mossberg 695 that will cross your eyes when you shoot it. Not pleasant at all. But shoots a great group.
-Jake

super_hunt54 09-16-2016 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4273207)
I've got a mossberg 695 that will cross your eyes when you shoot it. Not pleasant at all. But shoots a great group.
-Jake

My TC 12 barrel will cross ya T's and dot yer eyes. And that's WITH all that limb saver tech stuff. I absolutely HATE shooting with that barrel on. And I aint really that recoil shy. Granted I'm older than dirt but I can still take a good bit of recoil. That thing is just nasty on the bench. I'd rather shoot my Duplex charged .500 BP express at the bench than that thing. And I've seen that .500 make grown men cry like little girls.

BCRules 09-28-2016 02:27 PM

I have tried and tried to reload slugs, and can't duplicate factory slugs.

I have cast lyman sabots, tried several loads and wads. Tried blu-force, LBC slugs, tried SPW hammerheads, and all got 3-5 MOA accuracy at 100 yards. I really wanted the lyman cast to work, but they got like 3" groups at 50 yards.

bronko22000 10-01-2016 04:11 PM

Quite honestly I can't see where some state like IL only allow slug and muzzleloaders. I understand their reasoning because of the populations and the distance. But it just goes to show how stupid politicians are. Today's muzzys are far better then the old traditional sidelocks. Just take a look at some of the groups and distances some of these things can shoot. Makes some centerfire rifles cringe.
I guess the same thing can be said for the newer slug guns like those from Savage and Browning. These are truly excellent shooting guns. If I were to get one it would definitely be one of the 20 ga variety. I don't mind recoil but shooting a 12ga slug off the bench is not my idea of fun. Especially shooting 3" slug shells.

cjclemens 10-22-2016 03:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4275025)
Quite honestly I can't see where some state like IL only allow slug and muzzleloaders. I understand their reasoning because of the populations and the distance. But it just goes to show how stupid politicians are. Today's muzzys are far better then the old traditional sidelocks. Just take a look at some of the groups and distances some of these things can shoot. Makes some centerfire rifles cringe.
I guess the same thing can be said for the newer slug guns like those from Savage and Browning. These are truly excellent shooting guns. If I were to get one it would definitely be one of the 20 ga variety. I don't mind recoil but shooting a 12ga slug off the bench is not my idea of fun. Especially shooting 3" slug shells.

Being from Illinois, I definitely agree with that statement. I think some of those inline muzzleloaders are closer to centerfire rifle velocities than they are to slug gun velocities. That said, I think it would probably be best if they leave the regulations alone. If our elected officials actually do anything, they usually just make things worse.

I've tried my hand at reloading slugs, but I've not had much luck either. They're super expensive, but I use Remington Copper Solids. I had really good luck with them, so I got my dad using them as well. I never had much faith in slugs beyond 50 yards, but my dad has consistently been putting them down at 75+, the two longest being 92 and 115 yards. Most have been bang-flop type kills, and none have made it more than a few yards. The following photos are of a 12 gauge copper solid that I pulled out of the far-side shoulder of a large, mature doe that I shot two years ago. The rage was about 40 yards. Expansion of petals is near perfect and weight retention appears to be almost 100%. If I thought I could replicate this kind of terminal performance, I might give it a try, but I see no reason to put my foot through a Van Gogh. They are pricey, but if I shot 5 slugs a season, its usually 2 to make sure my gun is still dialed in and 3 dead deer.

Attachment 33004

Attachment 33005

Attachment 33006

super_hunt54 10-22-2016 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by cjclemens (Post 4277911)
Being from Illinois, I definitely agree with that statement. I think some of those inline muzzleloaders are closer to centerfire rifle velocities than they are to slug gun velocities. That said, I think it would probably be best if they leave the regulations alone. If our elected officials actually do anything, they usually just make things worse.

I've tried my hand at reloading slugs, but I've not had much luck either. They're super expensive, but I use Remington Copper Solids. I had really good luck with them, so I got my dad using them as well. I never had much faith in slugs beyond 50 yards, but my dad has consistently been putting them down at 75+, the two longest being 92 and 115 yards. Most have been bang-flop type kills, and none have made it more than a few yards. The following photos are of a 12 gauge copper solid that I pulled out of the far-side shoulder of a large, mature doe that I shot two years ago. The rage was about 40 yards. Expansion of petals is near perfect and weight retention appears to be almost 100%. If I thought I could replicate this kind of terminal performance, I might give it a try, but I see no reason to put my foot through a Van Gogh. They are pricey, but if I shot 5 slugs a season, its usually 2 to make sure my gun is still dialed in and 3 dead deer.

Attachment 33004

Attachment 33005

Attachment 33006

I like that (what I highlighted in red). Gonna have to remember that for a later date :D

Like I said previously, just not to many people shoot sluggers enough to justify the expense of the equipment. In all reality you aren't going to save a whole lot unless you cast your own slugs. THEN you will save a good bit over the cost of SOME slugs. With the cost of .45-.50 caliber bullets being what they are nowadays (the ones worth a flip anyway) being fairly high, I just see no savings in reloading a saboted slug. Like CJ, most just shoot them to get them sighted or to verify POI for any shift and go deer slamming. I know if my wife heard me say "I think I'm going to go play with my 12 slug barrel for some fun" she would immediately call the guys in the white coats with the butterfly nets :( I really would like to see a shell loaded up with say a 350gr Bloodline bullet though! Talk about a whopper dropper!