Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Loading slugs 12 & 20ga. >

Loading slugs 12 & 20ga.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Loading slugs 12 & 20ga.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I 100% agree with all said above!!!!!! That and then you find these ones into self abuse who think that they have to shoot the 3" or 3-1/2" 12ga slugs to kill deer!!!! My A&*!!!!! Thats the end result of shooting too many of those eye crossers!!!! If it were not for work and we carry 12ga and slugs, I would not loose 1 ounce of sleep to having never fire another 12ga slug.
I sight guys slug guns here at home and I use a lead sled. They show up with their slug gun and a bucket of 3" slugs because their buddies 2nd cousins brother killed one at 2 miles with that kind of slug last year, it has to work great in their gun also!!! I charge them for it!!!
I will shot my Mossy Trophy Slugster 20ga with Federal Premium Barnes Expanders all day or even my buddies custom 20ga in 3-1/2" Hastings in a H&R 980 set up before shooting another 12ga out of any gun.
And yes, living here in Commynois, we are limited to shooting slug guns for our firearms deer season. I shoot my .460 Smith or .44 Mag Lone Eagle Single Shot pistols before taking a long gun. Just because the distances are short and I like the challenge. And the deer don't know the difference!!!!! And if for some freak chance that I may take a long gun, it will be my 50cal Knight In line with 225 Horn Flex-Tips in a Harvester Sabot atop 110grns of T7. DRT out to 250 without batting an eye.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Getting 1.5" groups from a Savage 212 with 3" Accu-Tips Killed a mule deer just fine.In Canada it costs about $5 a round ......I can buy Federal factory .50BMG for that price.It will be nice to have the 12ga for spring bear as sometimes we get unwelcome guests ie grizzlies.I'm going to buy some Hammerheads and load them in Cheddite hulls to see if they will shoot then buy a mold.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:48 PM
Spike

I’ve dedicated the better part of five years in casting buckshot and slugs. I have a Facebook page called Buck and Slug Reloaders dedicated to guys like us tired of paying crazy money for decent shooting slugs (btw, my page is sponsored by Ballistic Products). I have worked up at least 5-6 different cast slug loss that shoots MOA or better. Wish I can post pics here.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:03 PM
Spike

Just a few pics I have of my reloading.

Slugs from my Lyman 12 gauge 525grain slug mold

Balls from my Lyman .44cal ball mold

A couple hundred rounds of my .338 Win Mag reloads