Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
162 ELD-X 7mm mags? >

162 ELD-X 7mm mags?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

162 ELD-X 7mm mags?

Old 08-22-2016, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 162 ELD-X 7mm mags?

Anyone played with these yet? Done any killing with them? I just picked up 600 of them as factory seconds, gonna see how they shoot in my wife's 7RM. Thinking they'll be a bit heavy, but only just so, for my 7-08 or .284w. Might try them anyway just for kicks.

I'm guessing they'll perform about like any tipped cup & core, probably too light built for elk, but good for deer. Expecting a bit of a mess for short range work if I hit anything hard, just comes with the territory using that kind of bullet.

Anyone used them yet?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

I've been considering trying one of the heavier, 200+ grain .308" diameter versions out of my 300 Win Mag pistol. I'll need a slower powder for them, but I think my local store has some appropriate choices.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also have 300 of the 200grn 30cal ELD-X's to run in my .300wm's, but I probably won't fuss with them for deer season this year, just do a little steel shooting. I looked at the 212's, but without a larger case behind it, the 300wm just doesn't seem to have enough throttle to get the most out of them. At least out of a rifle. A specialty pistol might be a little different mentality, the velocity loss is always there, so it doesn't feel like you're giving up as much when the bullets are already running a bit off pace. If I scratch this itch to build a RUM, the ELD's might be prominent in my future.

But I do own the bullets, so I intend to shoot them. Whether they shoot well enough to earn a spot hunting, and whether they kill well enough in the first outing to earn a continued spot remains to be determined for me. A heck of a lot cheaper than the Interbond or Accubond, and better profile than the SST by a touch, so I'm hopeful.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

With a 15" barrel you only get about 90% of the velocity compared to a rifle length barrel. However, 90% of a 300 Win Mag's velocity is roughly equal to the velocity you'd get out of a 30-06 rifle, depending on your load. I'm hoping the greater weight and lower velocity would mean less meat damage yet still provide a complete pass through on a whitetail on most reasonable shots. I'd thought about Barnes bullets, but the ELDs are cheaper. And, let's be honest, I love trying combinations that others likely haven't yet.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

I get outstanding accuracy with ELDs out of my 7-08. Just not a lot of velocity.Might be able to up the velocity with another powder.
I am an accuracy nut more so than speed however.I think they will shoot good for you.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mercy, what twist rate is your 7mm-08 barrel? I have 1:9 and COULD stabilize those 162's but you are going to lose a good little bit of case capacity on your loads. Them buggers look a bit long. That's the main reason I don't use over 140 grain in mine. The 139 hornadys are about max length before you start to lose case capacity against seating depth. No way I could use them in the LR but my TC and bolt guns I could probably set them out a little longer. But if your's is the 1:10tr you MIGHT not get stabilization. Just food for thought.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

I read a field report from someone who tried the 143 grain ELD-X out of a 6.5-284. He said even at 581 yards, the bullet blew up. It looked like he hit the shoulder, though.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
I read a field report from someone who tried the 143 grain ELD-X out of a 6.5-284. He said even at 581 yards, the bullet blew up. It looked like he hit the shoulder, though.
The 6.5-284 Norma is still cooking pretty good at that range. Those ELD's are pretty high BC. Moons ago back in the early 70's I catted a bench gun in that cartridge for LR comp. Was a pretty doggone good shooting round. Had an old Gunny making my comp bullets back then. Hand turned 136-138 grain with a needle tip. That particular rifle liked the flat base better than BT.

I got some of those 200gr ELD's for my 06. Looking at them, it seems they increased the nose angle and lengthened the bearing surface a good bit in comparison to the 180gr Interbond. But it sounds like the dang things have the same issues the SST's have. Fly great but you seem to have to avoid bone.