Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
308 loads for a Rem. pump rifle. >

308 loads for a Rem. pump rifle.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

308 loads for a Rem. pump rifle.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mine was the same way RR
Old 05-15-2016, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 760 rem pump .270 and the 30-06 was, and probably still is one of the most popular rifles in Pa. Had a lot of reloaders out there having to tap out cases. Of course many of them were trying to hot rod the loads but I saw several other than mine that had moderate loads getting stuck. Thing is RR, most people that hunt don't go shooting those pumpers at the range like you and I do so case life has little meaning to them for those particular rifles. They shoot them enough to find a particularly accurate load then shoot to sight in and thats it. So typically 2 or 3 loads on a case is more than enough for them.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good info in all replies. I am new to the pump centerfire reloading scene. I will see what goes from here. Thanks again!!
Old 09-03-2016, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I finally found a load that makes my buddies Remmy 308 pump rifle sing. I found that Reloader 15, Winchester Brass, Winchester LR primers, 155grn Hornady A-Maxx loaded at 2.815" C.O.L shoots wonders. I saw the first 4 made the lower group and just HAD to go and shoot the 5th. That one landed high. Still had a .585" C/C!!!!! Thats 3 in the bottom right group!!!! I was using the bottom of the black ring as my hold. Sighted perfect for what he wants to use it for. 5-3/4" high for a 325yd POI. I didnt think it was too shabby for a pumper!!!
Attached Thumbnails 308 loads for a Rem. pump rifle.-daves-308-pump-rifle.jpg  
Old 09-05-2016, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Glad you found a load that worked.

I own about 12 reloading manuals I've picked up over time. Each and every one has one bit of information almost word for word in them. Start low and work up to find what works for you, do not exceed max loads.

I just had to go look at a couple yesterday. Did not find any that said loads for auto loaders only nor any that said for pump rifles only.
Seems your stuck with the start low and work up rule if you are loading for a pump or auto loader rifle.

Al
Old 09-05-2016, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used load data for 308 rifle for you will not find any that specify for pump or bolt. You will find some for auto, but only military style match rifle. I started at the lower middle end and just came up 1/2grn increments. I as well have many loading manuals that I have bought over the years and usually refer to them when doing something like this.
I also have come to find more often than not, that most rifle like to run about 3/4 throttle. You can start seeing the groups react about 5/8ths one way or the other. By the time I get to 3/4, I more than likely know where its going to go and save the rest of the ammo.

Last edited by SecondChance; 09-05-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alley - Crazy you didn't find any autoloader sections in any of your manuals. 5.56 and 7.62 "Service Rifle" sections are very common.

Two things have to happen, both pretty simple - the round has to go into the chamber to be fired, then the case has to come out again after the shot. Getting rounds to feed into the chamber isn't rocket science - it has to be sized small enough to slide in and close without relying upon strong camming force from the bolt handle. I've not found semi-autos or pumps to commonly really need to be sized with a small base die, but full length sizing is usually needed, or at least beneficial for reliable feeding. Getting fired rounds out of the chamber without the aid of camming advantage in these models is also simple - it can't be so stretched to the chamber to stick. What might be a little stickiness in bolt lift in a bolt gun can present itself as a stuck slide in a pump gun.

But for SecondChance - looks like that dog'll hunt!
Old 09-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

That dogs huntn like a fool!!!! Thanks NoMercy448. I didn't really feel that by comparing the service rifle data to this was weapon was comparable, being a pump vs a gas driven weapon. But I do have it when and if I come across the need to use it.
And as far as using the small base die, SO FAR I have had no issues with any rounds that I have loaded to that rifle. We have shot nearly 100 to date with nary so much as a tad of stickiness upon removal using both FL dies and NS dies. I keep my brass for situations like this to each particular rifle. Keeping the chamber fired cases to the weapon. Saves headaches later I have come to find out over the years.

Last edited by SecondChance; 09-05-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
yours was not the norm, the 742's/760's used to be very popular have messed with a couple dozen of them, never had 1 that needed small base dies. my personal 760 in 270 hasn't fired a factory load in 40 years, regular dies, have never trimmed a case for it.
RR
I guess mine wasn't the norm either because even full length sized cases from a standard die (cases fired from the same 760) would not chamber unless the bolt was slammed hard forward. Any babying of the pump and the case was stuck. A small base die solved the problem and feeding was never a problem again. Better to have a few less loads from a case than unreliable feeding. Especially in a rifle solely used for hunting.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Upon reading these past posts got my thinker to thinkin. I took some new brass, got my buddies SB die, my FL and NS die. I loaded 10 rounds with each. I mic'd all the brass and weighed. I prepped all brass the same to ensure uniformity. I shot all the rounds one behind the other. Only way to know which was which was by primer color. I had my buddy shoot the other 5 of each to see if he could get a difference. All rounds ran without so much as a hitch. All rounds were shot feeding from the magazine to include that into the mix as well. O' well, so much for scientific experiments!!!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 09-25-2016 at 07:30 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.